+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You'ce got to have some old Quad in the mix !

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    It was Quad serviced last November and the big caps were replaced. I'll post photos of the Amplabs one for sure.
    That's good, I wonder if they (probably Ken) turned them round so that connections point upwards.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    The 306 is just lovely, as is the 405-2. They all are !
    I have a 405-2, a 405 that I bought new in 1976, about 1987 I converted to the -2 using the Quad kit. Somehow, a 303 stays connected longer than the 405-2.
    Spendorman

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Identical amplifier running at the moment, sounds great into Rogers LS3/6 speakers, listening to Radio 4 Extra at the moment, voices sound quite real.

Four of them here

VDSCF2277 by A60man, on Flickr
    I think I'm nearly as bad as you: I have two 303s (one modified and fitted with Cannon XLR connectors, a bit like the 303K), the other is standard. But I also have a pair of Quad 50E monoblocks; so four "303-shaped" lumps of amplification.

Good to see you don't pander to the 'hosepipe school' of philosophy when it come to speaker leads!
    Barry

I'm Shane.

Nice pics, Ian. Reminds me of a Dub Sound System

S.

I'm Hugo.

I rather like the rough honesty of that cabinet!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Nice pics, Ian. Reminds me of a Dub Sound System S.
    That's the kindest thing anybody'd ever said to me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    I rather like the rough honesty of that cabinet!
    To be fair when I say I've been meaning to smarten it up, I've sort of been thinking that for the last, ahem, 10 years !

Posting photos and now I'm multi quoting !

I'm Manny.

Very nice!

I'm paul.

hi guys
    im using a avi lab series amplifier,people say it can be a sterile sounding thing,but i cant say i find that the case,really like the sound in fact...which brings me to my question...
    how would something like these quads or the quad 606,909 compare to the avi,im very tempted to try a quad but i always read mixed views and feelings regarding there sound quality and the prices there fetching these days means i cant take a cheap punt just to try and see....but i confess i certainly love the looks of them...more so the 606 series
    hope you guys dont mind me asking in this thread....i just thought while all you quad lovers where in one place i would ask
    feel free to delete if im hijacking.
    regards
    paul

I'm Ian.

Hello Paul,

I've owned most Quad power amps over the years and found them all faultless though I can't offer a view regarding comparison with AVI gear I'm afraid. I've seen your ad for a 306 and hope that works out, always best to try for yourself. I try to avoid describing sonic qualities these days, but maybe I'd describe the 303 as being like a mellow red wine ! I regret letting my 909 go so that says something.

As for the hijacking thing you mention, don't be daft . I'll talk to anyone anywhere about Quad amps ! I'm sure others may articulate more than me, but you're doing the right thing in trying one out in your system. Cheers.

I'm dave.

Hi I have a surplus of Quads at the moment 2 X 303 4 x 405-1 and 2 x405-2 8 x 33 preamps 2 x 44 preamps and 5 x FM4 tuners ( 2 need repairing 2 have the later chip that removes the battery ) most of the 33 preamps have been upgraded to the DADA style 16v power supply and new caps etc . I have yet to get round to 3 of the 33 a these were a trade in for upgraded ones . The 405-1 also need new caps and R7 and R8 feed zener diodes to power the input op-amp. They are underrated for power. They dissipate at least 0.37W and the resistors are 0.25W. So at some point one burns out, puts the op-amp hard to one rail, pegs one dumper at the power rail, the crowbar fires and blows the dumper, the driver and then the crowbar. Then the rail fuse blows. The resistors should be replaced with 1W resistors, spaced away from the board by a few millimetres to allow air to circulate . Electrolytic capacitors associated with the protection circuits are directly above R30 and R31 (560 ohm power resistors). These run hot, and cook the electrolytic. These are ROE epoxy potted caps, and will be badly discoloured and cracked. When replacing, the caps should be soldered to the track side of the board to keep them away from the heat and of course the RIFA caps on the power switch
    ( the advice on the 405-1 is thanks to Craig Sawyers from the https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...569#post986569 )

Dave

PS I do like the 303 sound it is very mellow
    Any tool can be used as a hammer but a screwdriver makes the best chisel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast