+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You'ce got to have some old Quad in the mix !

I'm paul.

hi ian
    many thanks for your input and views,its very helpful to get that from someone who has had plenty of experience with the subject matter being discussed here.
    i totally agree with you regarding describing sonic qualities to someone,its so ears and system/room/tastes dependent but i think you had a good stab at it with the red wine analogy,more so as i so love said red wine
    ive decided the best plan is to try and get hold of a 306 as cheap as possible and try for myself,as you point out,its the only way to really know(plus i just love trying different stuff)and hence my wanted ad.
    the avi amp i have has pre-outputs which should help me no end,but if a 306 can be run with a passive pot then im sure i can knock one of them up quickly to.
    now i just need to strike lucky and hopefully find and get one
    very much appreciate the response once again,and never said it earlier..great pictures and gear...timeless.

regards
    paul

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    hi ian
    many thanks for your input and views,its very helpful to get that from someone who has had plenty of experience with the subject matter being discussed here.
    i totally agree with you regarding describing sonic qualities to someone,its so ears and system/room/tastes dependent but i think you had a good stab at it with the red wine analogy,more so as i so love said red wine
    ive decided the best plan is to try and get hold of a 306 as cheap as possible and try for myself,as you point out,its the only way to really know(plus i just love trying different stuff)and hence my wanted ad.
    the avi amp i have has pre-outputs which should help me no end,but if a 306 can be run with a passive pot then im sure i can knock one of them up quickly to.
    now i just need to strike lucky and hopefully find and get one
    very much appreciate the response once again,and never said it earlier..great pictures and gear...timeless.

regards
    paul
    Let us know how you get on chap !

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    Let us know how you get on chap !
    will do lan

I'm gone.

AVI Lab Series.
    Nice - and a bit upfront, taut and 'exciting' compared to the average, imo.
    Quad 303 - on the laidback and mellow side, as has been said.
    Big difference in presentation, in my view.

As I understand it (from AOS posts!) the 303 was the direct successor to the snoozy but tonally rich (imo) Quad II valve monoblocks. and that lineage is readily audible. With the 303 I think Quad tried (and largely succeeded) in producing a solid state Quad II.

Later Quad amps headed for a more dynamic presentation but lost the tonal magic of the Quad II. Maybe the Quad II overdid the tonal richness, but cor lummy it sounded good!
    I had a Quad 405 as my very first 'proper hifi' amp, I then upped to the 405-2 and that was a real eye/ear opener! Much more dynamic and, to me, interesting sounding.
    I had a 606 for a short while - a fine amp just missing a layer or so of detail resolution to call it great, imo.
    I'd like to try a 306 one day.

I'm Ian.

snoozy but tonally rich

I have never come across that term in any review article but my word it's on the money !

I'm Andrew.

I enjoyed my time some years ago with a 303 fed direct from a Denon cdp.
    A nice sound as I recall if like me you don't like overly bright treble.
    The only real problem I had was speaker cables interfering with my tv picture.

I'm Ian.

Here's the Amplabs one........

I'm Alex.

Nice, I always thought that an on-off switch could be useful. I have fitted one to my 405-2. There are already some convenient holes in the rear panel that can be used to mount a miniature switch.

Strange that they quote 40/220 W on the amp as consumption, mine consume around 12-13 Watts at idle.
    Spendorman

I'm paul.

hi guys
    thanks for all the input and views.
    i may now have to wait till after christmas where i can dedicate some more funds towards the quad appraisal/buying thing,but i will certainly be giving one of them ago...ive just got to know now

"jandl100
    AVI Lab Series.
    Nice - and a bit upfront, taut and 'exciting' compared to the average, imo.
    Quad 303 - on the laidback and mellow side, as has been said.
    Big difference in presentation, in my view.

As I understand it (from AOS posts!) the 303 was the direct successor to the snoozy but tonally rich (imo) Quad II valve monoblocks. and that lineage is readily audible. With the 303 I think Quad tried (and largely succeeded) in producing a solid state Quad II.

Later Quad amps headed for a more dynamic presentation but lost the tonal magic of the Quad II. Maybe the Quad II overdid the tonal richness, but cor lummy it sounded good!
    I had a Quad 405 as my very first 'proper hifi' amp, I then upped to the 405-2 and that was a real eye/ear opener! Much more dynamic and, to me, interesting sounding.
    I had a 606 for a short while - a fine amp just missing a layer or so of detail resolution to call it great, imo.
    I'd like to try a 306 one day."

great post and thanks for your take on my avi compared to a quad,i think you've described the avi labs amplifier pretty spot on.

great thread by the way guys.

regards
    paul

Location: Out on the wild and windy moors Lancs / Yorks Border

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    Here's the Amplabs one........

Now that looks the business. If it sounds half as good as it looks then it will be stunning
    Analogue
    401 / PU7 / AT33ev
    Longdog Audio Quartz turntable PSU
    Longdog Audio MCJ1 - Prototype Phonostage
    Digital
    Innuos Zen Mini Mk 3
    Topping D50s
    Caiman Seg & Dorado
    Cambridge CXC
    Amps
    Tron Seven Linestage
    Bel Canto Set 40 or Nick Gorham built 300B Set Monoblocks