+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: You'ce got to have some old Quad in the mix !

  1. #1
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Nottingham

    Posts: 423
    I'm Ian.

    Default You'ce got to have some old Quad in the mix !

    Finally posting photos as I made the effort to look into how to do so yesterday !

    I intend to smarten the inside of the cabinet up but it does do the job, it's braced and stands very solid. The latest addition is the Project Classic added late Summer.





    Last edited by IHP; 12-12-2017 at 08:47.

  2. #2
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Middlesex, UK

    Posts: 3,295
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Identical amplifier running at the moment, sounds great into Rogers LS3/6 speakers, listening to Radio 4 Extra at the moment, voices sound quite real.


    Four of them here

    VDSCF2277 by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

  3. #3
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 35,801
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Nice old cabinet. A bit of thoughtful restoration can have it looking excellent. I might be tempted to cut the top down, so the lid is flat. That would make using the TT easier.

  4. #4
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Nottingham

    Posts: 423
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Identical amplifier running at the moment, sounds great into Rogers LS3/6 speakers, listening to Radio 4 Extra at the moment, voices sound quite real.


    Four of them here
    Four ! Now that's just showing off ! . Actually you've just made be feel a bit less guilty, I've just bough an Amplabs fettled one which will arrive this week.

  5. #5
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Nottingham

    Posts: 423
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice old cabinet. A bit of thoughtful restoration can have it looking excellent. I might be tempted to cut the top down, so the lid is flat. That would make using the TT easier.
    That has indeed crossed my mind though would be well beyond my abilities. I like it so much I might be prepared to pass it to someone with the required skills.

  6. #6
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Middlesex, UK

    Posts: 3,295
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    Four ! Now that's just showing off ! . Actually you've just made be feel a bit less guilty, I've just bough an Amplabs fettled one which will arrive this week.
    Very important to at least to have a look at the four big can type capacitors near the mains transformer. If they leak they dump nasty stuff over the circuit boards, in later 303's like the bottom right one in my pic, Quad inverted the capacitors, this reduced the chance of electrolyte on the boards in the event of a capacitor leaking.

    Be interested in seeing pics of your Amplab one.
    Spendorman

  7. #7
    Join Date: Apr 2012

    Location: Southall, West London

    Posts: 35,801
    I'm Geoff.

    Default

    Only one Quad here. A 306, which has surprised me with its decent sound quality. More than enough power for my speakers too.

  8. #8
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Nottingham

    Posts: 423
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Very important to at least to have a look at the four big can type capacitors near the mains transformer. If they leak they dump nasty stuff over the circuit boards, in later 303's like the bottom right one in my pic, Quad inverted the capacitors, this reduced the chance of electrolyte on the boards in the event of a capacitor leaking.

    Be interested in seeing pics of your Amplab one.
    It was Quad serviced last November and the big caps were replaced. I'll post photos of the Amplabs one for sure.

  9. #9
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Middlesex, UK

    Posts: 3,295
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Only one Quad here. A 306, which has surprised me with its decent sound quality. More than enough power for my speakers too.
    That may be the best all rounder from Quad, unfortunately, I do not have one. The 303 is fine with most speakers, but on a few, bass can be a little less controlled than with other amps.
    Spendorman

  10. #10
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Nottingham

    Posts: 423
    I'm Ian.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Only one Quad here. A 306, which has surprised me with its decent sound quality. More than enough power for my speakers too.
    The 306 is just lovely, as is the 405-2. They all are !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •