+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You'ce got to have some old Quad in the mix !

I'm Ian.

Default You'ce got to have some old Quad in the mix !

Finally posting photos as I made the effort to look into how to do so yesterday !

I intend to smarten the inside of the cabinet up but it does do the job, it's braced and stands very solid. The latest addition is the Project Classic added late Summer.

Last edited by IHP; 12-12-2017 at 08:47.

I'm Alex.

Identical amplifier running at the moment, sounds great into Rogers LS3/6 speakers, listening to Radio 4 Extra at the moment, voices sound quite real.

Four of them here

VDSCF2277 by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Nice old cabinet. A bit of thoughtful restoration can have it looking excellent. I might be tempted to cut the top down, so the lid is flat. That would make using the TT easier.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Identical amplifier running at the moment, sounds great into Rogers LS3/6 speakers, listening to Radio 4 Extra at the moment, voices sound quite real.

Four of them here
    Four ! Now that's just showing off ! . Actually you've just made be feel a bit less guilty, I've just bough an Amplabs fettled one which will arrive this week.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice old cabinet. A bit of thoughtful restoration can have it looking excellent. I might be tempted to cut the top down, so the lid is flat. That would make using the TT easier.
    That has indeed crossed my mind though would be well beyond my abilities. I like it so much I might be prepared to pass it to someone with the required skills.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by IHP View Post
    Four ! Now that's just showing off ! . Actually you've just made be feel a bit less guilty, I've just bough an Amplabs fettled one which will arrive this week.
    Very important to at least to have a look at the four big can type capacitors near the mains transformer. If they leak they dump nasty stuff over the circuit boards, in later 303's like the bottom right one in my pic, Quad inverted the capacitors, this reduced the chance of electrolyte on the boards in the event of a capacitor leaking.

Be interested in seeing pics of your Amplab one.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Only one Quad here. A 306, which has surprised me with its decent sound quality. More than enough power for my speakers too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Very important to at least to have a look at the four big can type capacitors near the mains transformer. If they leak they dump nasty stuff over the circuit boards, in later 303's like the bottom right one in my pic, Quad inverted the capacitors, this reduced the chance of electrolyte on the boards in the event of a capacitor leaking.

Be interested in seeing pics of your Amplab one.
    It was Quad serviced last November and the big caps were replaced. I'll post photos of the Amplabs one for sure.

I'm Alex.

Only one Quad here. A 306, which has surprised me with its decent sound quality. More than enough power for my speakers too.
    That may be the best all rounder from Quad, unfortunately, I do not have one. The 303 is fine with most speakers, but on a few, bass can be a little less controlled than with other amps.
    Spendorman

I'm Ian.

The 306 is just lovely, as is the 405-2. They all are !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast