+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Audiophile or Audio-Fooled? How Good Are Your Ears?

I'm Dennis.

Other than being the remnants of mystical phantom notions from the eighties, I haven't got a clue what PRaT are.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    I had a recent experience that is right in line with this thread.

My band decided to play Skid Row, Little Sister. Just a simple hair metal song, or so I thought. I downloaded an MP3 copy at 320kbs, and studied the bass parts and learned the song. Then at band practice, before we attempt to play this song, we play the CD through the PA system, and wow! I was missing about 3/4 of the bass notes! The bass was walking all around, but on the MP3 all I was hearing was the root notes. I went home and gave a more serious listen to the MP3, and the notes I heard from the CD just weren’t there, so I ordered the CD, and playing it over the same stereo as the MP3, I now here every nuance of bass, the difference is amazing. I suspect the choice of subject matter can make all the difference, I’ve downloaded many other songs in the same way to learn and had not noticed that I was missing any notes, but those songs were simpler compositions. Bottom line, if you are using any form of lossy compression, that means something is missing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Interesting post, may I ask have you tried to encode the track from your good cd back to 320kb mp3? If you have and the second mp3 shows the same losses then IMHO that would be very interesting. My question arises as the quality of the original mp3 master could have been lacking rather than this being an artifact of the encoding itself?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    Interesting post, may I ask have you tried to encode the track from your good cd back to 320kb mp3? If you have and the second mp3 shows the same losses then IMHO that would be very interesting. My question arises as the quality of the original mp3 master could have been lacking rather than this being an artifact of the encoding itself?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    An interesting question! I’m not sure I have the ability to change the CD into an MP3, but maybe I do? I’ve just never had the desire to do so, let me look into that. It’s very possible that the MP3 I got from iTunes could be less than advertised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Stewart.

Could just be the source is different.What if you copied the MP3 onto a cd.What would you hear?

I'm Simon.

Over the years I've heard some setups where a band really gel and there's an obvious swing and vibe to a track. I've heard other hifi where this doesn't happen with exactly the same music. I've never been able to pin down why it might be even though the music sounds the same tonally. Simple hifi done well with smaller speakers tends to do the trick better IME and its more than just a spotlit rhythm section.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neil.

Stumbled across that video before, and frankly to state mp3 is good enough, well I disagree. I can easily discern the differences, between mp3 (always could) and other formats. With guys like him, whats the point in having a hifi. Glad he isn't the norm, or I would learn to play an instrument, as his views would destroy any notion of hifidelity.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12