+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Nuclear Power Carry An Acceptable Risk?

I'm Neil.

Default Does Nuclear Power Carry An Acceptable Risk?

Between solar, wind and tidal we now have the technology to make it happen, problem is big oil lobbying will not want that to happen. As for nuclear I am all for fusion, and see fission as a dangerous thing to handle, to dangerous for mankind obviously as multiple disasters have already happened.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

No we don't. When you factor in the power required to run the world's vehicles when the oil runs out, renewables can only provide a fraction of what is required. Check the figures.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

Hydro is one of the better clean ones but it's costly and disruptive to land and ecosystems. Nuclear really has to have its place like it or not
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    The elephant in this particular room that hasn't been mentioned is population growth.
    There are simply more of us than the planet can sustain. In terms of food production and energy needs etc.
    I can't properly recall, and I can't be bothered to look it up at the moment!, but I think a sustainable population for our little blue dot is about 2 billion.
    We are currently heading for 10.

We either limit ourselves and stop behaving like demented rabbits or "Nature" will do it for us.
    Spot on, there are no shortages of raw materials, just far too many people wanting them.

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't worry too much.

The world and humanity are overdue for a major cataclysm which could massively reduce or even eliminate the population. No doubt there will be one sooner or later and the need for energy resources will become very secondary.

Worldwide war? A global viral pandemic, maybe a super contagious VHF? That would do the job. Asteroid strike? Super-eruption? Giant solar flare? Magnetic pole reversal? Take your pick!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Always looking on the bright side Geoff. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Always looking on the bright side Geoff. :-)
    Yup. Can't have folk being unduly optimistic!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

LOL

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Martin.

Yeah dont build one near me but its how easily the radiation spreads

What was interesting is that they could work surprisingly close to the reactor where one Gamma ray might pass through you but not right on/beside the reactor ruins where loads of Gamma rays would pass through giving a large radiation dose. It is quite scary and I understand radiation sickness more as it destroys the cells ability to function especially if ingested.

These rays need 94cm? of lead as a barrier so there is little protection at the moment against 200 tonnes of decaying fuel rods. That dome is real Human achievement but its costing billions.

I just dont think it should be messed with. Those Russian reactors were not good enough. I dont know if it can ever be considered foolproof.

Im interested in how the fallout affects the land as it was killing large areas of trees. They photographed plenty of wildlife but there must have been serious consequences for all plant and animal cells exposed to the radiation

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Acceptable risk.

I feel sure that far more people have died as a result of the coal mining industry than nuclear power.
    Why is that more acceptable?
    Yes that is a fair point in any debate about this. We would need to see all the graphs and pie charts but energy generation is expensive and mining coal could be dangerous

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast