+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Does Nuclear Power Carry An Acceptable Risk?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    well illegal if you dont pay the solar tax. totally ridiculous national theft
    Like in Florida where it is illegal to go off grid, and perfectly doable.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Transport of goods in the UK used to be done by rail until a certain person massacred the rail system and forced us all to drive.
    Regenerating our railways is the way to go.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Within my lifetime (just!) the great smog of London in 1952 killed 12,000 people and injured a further 200,000 over a five day period
    I remember it. What nobody points out, is that smog was occurring every year in London to a greater or lesser extent.

That was also the same year the last London tram ran. I was on it for its last journey.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Transport of goods in the UK used to be done by rail until a certain person massacred the rail system and forced us all to drive.
    There was an announcement rcently that many of the lines closed in the fifties and sixties are to be considered for re-opening.

(what's up with your text Shaun? It doesn't need to be that small. I have a job reading it)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Slight problem with shipping goods by rail is that they can only go as far as the station. Then you have to get them to their final destination by...truck. Fact is vehicles have largely replaced rail for shipping freight because they are a more effective solution, not because of Beeching. Or even Thatcher.

And there is a global conspiracy to stop us all getting cheap, clean power? Well, I suppose I have heard crazier theories...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yeah dont build one near me but its how easily the radiation spreads

What was interesting is that they could work surprisingly close to the reactor where one Gamma ray might pass through you but not right on/beside the reactor ruins where loads of Gamma rays would pass through giving a large radiation dose. It is quite scary and I understand radiation sickness more as it destroys the cells ability to function especially if ingested.

These rays need 94cm? of lead as a barrier so there is little protection at the moment against 200 tonnes of decaying fuel rods. That dome is real Human achievement but its costing billions.

I just dont think it should be messed with. Those Russian reactors were not good enough. I dont know if it can ever be considered foolproof.

Im interested in how the fallout affects the land as it was killing large areas of trees. They photographed plenty of wildlife but there must have been serious consequences for all plant and animal cells exposed to the radiation
    Actually Gamma rays are the least damaging to tissue, Alpha and Beta being much worse in this respect, it’s just the fact that minimal shielding will prevent emissions from Alpha and Beta and much more is required for Gamma.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There was an announcement rcently that many of the lines closed in the fifties and sixties are to be considered for re-opening.

(what's up with your text Shaun? It doesn't need to be that small. I have a job reading it)
    Hey dunno.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Regenerating our railways is the way to go.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Actually Gamma rays are the least damaging to tissue, Alpha and Beta being much worse in this respect, it’s just the fact that minimal shielding will prevent emissions from Alpha and Beta and much more is required for Gamma.

God help you if you were to swallow an alpha or beta particle because they are particles and not 'rays'.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    There was an announcement recently that many of the lines closed in the fifties and sixties are to be considered for re-opening.
    I would so love to see that happen. I'm not a 'trainspotter' cozz even if I were it is unlikely they'd resort to steam at any point in the future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast