+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Does Nuclear Power Carry An Acceptable Risk?

I'm Shane.

Within my lifetime (just!) the great smog of London in 1952 killed 12,000 people and injured a further 200,000 over a five day period, and was largely caused by coal. That’s just one event in one city. We’ve been burning coal in enormous quantities for 200 years world wide and have probably killed millions of people doing so, but because it’s not weird or sc-fi sounding we take it for granted and ignore it. In the West, we’ve cleaned coal up but now we’re doing the same thing all over again with diesel. Overall, nuclear is far less dangerous to us and to the environment, but when it does go wrong it’s far more scary and makes juicier headlines.

And I haven’t even mentioned global warming yet...
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Shaun.

As has already been said, the nuclear power program was set in motion mainly to build fast breeder reactors to generate plutonium for bombs but British reactors have dual containment buildings around them to protect from a runaway whereas the Russian ones had no containment other than the building itself. The outcome of such negligence has already been shown to the World.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Always looking on the bright side Geoff. :-)

I'm gone.

Coal miner deaths in the USA 1900 - 2016. Astonishing.
    https://arlweb.msha.gov/stats/centur.../coalstats.asp

Bring on nuclear power!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yeah dont build one near me but its how easily the radiation spreads
    Radiation spreads according to the weather at the time in the same way a toxic gas would spread. We have a country with many chemical plants in it and a lot of those plants will emit toxic gases into the air. I don't hear too many complaints about that. I have worked so far for around forty one years in the chemical industry and have seen lots of toxic gas emissions by some very large chemical companies. These emissions were only cut down on fairly recently by the use of chemical scrubbers in accordance with EU regs that we probably won't have much longer. All you have to do as a member of the public is choose your poison.

I'm Grant.

I can see the BP plant on a clear day. one of the biggest... if it goes then so will I.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

In my opinion the power of social media should be used to demand free energy. It exists and is disgusting that many people liver in fuel poverty.

Here in Spain where the sun shines almost every day it is illegal to use solar power.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    No we don't. When you factor in the power required to run the world's vehicles when the oil runs out, renewables can only provide a fraction of what is required. Check the figures.
    Yes this is a big problem requiring a change of mindset of cars as a convenience and a status symbol. Leave the roads for essential transport of goods, people who live in places that really need them and we are onto something sustainable.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

Transport of goods in the UK used to be done by rail until a certain person massacred the rail system and forced us all to drive.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    In my opinion the power of social media should be used to demand free energy. It exists and is disgusting that many people liver in fuel poverty.

Here in Spain where the sun shines almost every day it is illegal to use solar power.
    well illegal if you dont pay the solar tax. totally ridiculous national theft
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast