+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Technics Sl 1200 mk5 is it a keeper?

I'm Matt.

Default Technics Sl 1200 mk5 is it a keeper?

Hello, I do own Technics Sl1200 mk5 I bought it several years ago for art of sampling. Now I moved forward, and would like to have a good source for high quality sound reproduction (but still avaible for average Joe) . On the second market they go for +/- £500, these money could buy me (again +/- ) used pink triangle or Nottingham Analouge or some other established turntables if I wait patiently. Is it worth to change? What arm would be much improvememt in sound quality for sl1200 mk5?
    Im after natural reproduction with good dynamics, instrument separation and deep sound stage.
    Regards

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
    Hello, I do own Technics Sl1200 mk5 I bought it several years ago for art of sampling. Now I moved forward, and would like to have a good source for high quality sound reproduction (but still avaible for average Joe) . On the second market they go for +/- £500, these money could buy me (again +/- ) used pink triangle or Nottingham Analouge or some other established turntables if I wait patiently. Is it worth to change? What arm would be much improvememt in sound quality for sl1200 mk5?
    Im after natural reproduction with good dynamics, instrument separation and deep sound stage.
    Regards
    Hi Matt

If you can afford to keep it keep it. You can make this turntable sound pretty amazing with tips and advice from people on here. Arm wise a good tone arm rewire with a damped foam filled tube isn't a bad start. This can make an improvement over standard but better arms are out there. A good stylus can be a great upgrade as well.

I used a Jelco SA-750D tone arm and this does enhance the turntable massively. It can get a little crazy price wise with some upgrades but it all depends where you want to be as it doesn't have to be to have a great sounding deck.

Try looking here

http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...he-Techiepedia
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

+ Reply to Thread