+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising Tannoy's above ground level

I'm Bob.

Default Raising Tannoy's above ground level

I have a pair of Tannoy Cheviots that I bought in 1976, I have replaced the cones about 18 years ago but other than that and a few small dinks they are as original.

I have no issues with them, love them to bits, and they have always been at ground level, but I was just thinking.

Has anyone ever thought about raising them off the ground a bit, maybe by making an extension plinth to fit around the base, maybe taking them up 6 inches or so.

As said mine have always lived at ground level, but I am sure others have thought about this or tried it, any thoughts appreciated.

I'm Rob.

Al lot of larger speakers you see for sale say on ebay will say "floorstanding speakers" when in reality they are just large boxes that need to be raised off the floor. It is said that tweeters should be at about ear height. However it is often a suck it and see thing and down to personal preference. I would make some basic plinths out of plywood and have a play around, you might be surprised.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

My Cheviots are raised about a foot on MDF plinths. That gets the tweeters at ear level and cleans the bass up.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bob.

When the Arden, Berkeley and Cheviot range was released, the Cheviots were sold as "The smallest floor standing speakers in the HPD range" with the Devon and Eaton's being sold as bookshelf speakers. The Arden and Berkeley have the 15in drivers, the Cheviot and the Devon the 12in and the baby was the Eaton with a 10in driver.

The Cheviots are 33 inches tall with the centre of the driver being 24 inches above ground level, I would guess the Arden's are nearer 28 inches to the driver centre.

As mentioned you don't need to worry so much about tweeter height with DC Tannoy's as the tweeter is centre loaded inside the mid and bass driver.

It would be very easy to make a plinth to raise the Cheviots as there is already a plinth of about 2 inches and I could easily make a sleeve to fit around this so that the Cheviots just slipped into it.

May try this when I move and get my workshop built.
    Last edited by bobvfr; 08-12-2017 at 10:38.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    My Cheviots are raised about a foot on MDF plinths. That gets the tweeters at ear level and cleans the bass up.
    I thought you would reply to this thread ;-)

Have you tried with and without the plinth, do you hear a difference? Or is it just for aesthetics?

Are the plinths coupled in anyway of just sitting underneath?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by bobvfr View Post
    I thought you would reply to this thread ;-)

Have you tried with and without the plinth, do you hear a difference? Or is it just for aesthetics?

Are the plinths coupled in anyway of just sitting underneath?
    I don't do anything for aesthetics sake, just sound quality. The plinths definitely improve things. The plinths just sit on the carpeted floor, with the Tannoys slotted into the tops. There's enough mass in the speakers to not need to worry about spikes etc.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bob.

Pretty much how I was thinking this through :-)

I'm gone.

Personally I'd investigate raising the speaker cabs on some sort of legged stand.
    Adding an extra plinth simply extends the problem, to my mind. As I see it you want to separate the cabinet from the floor with an air gap.
    Try it with a can of baked beans at each corner. I'd recommend Asda.

A tilt back of the cabinets can work well also, some pucks at the front corners. Once again creating an air gap between the cab and the floor.
    It tidies up the bass quite nicely and can be used to point the tweeters to ear level.

I'm Anto.

I cut some foam matting from some cow cubicle mats (which are about an inch and a half thick)to slightly oversize of my Tannoy 635 D 50's footprint , and then sloped it to the rear ,so the speakers sit at 5 degrees off level ,thus firing slightly upwards to my sitting position!!
    I am not known as a tightarse for nothing
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm frank.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Personally I'd investigate raising the speaker cabs on some sort of legged stand.
    Adding an extra plinth simply extends the problem, to my mind. As I see it you want to separate the cabinet from the floor with an air gap.
    Try it with a can of baked beans at each corner. I'd recommend Asda.

A tilt back of the cabinets can work well also, some pucks at the front corners. Once again creating an air gap between the cab and the floor.
    It tidies up the bass quite nicely and can be used to point the tweeters to ear level.
    You are aware the plinth isnt solid it is just a U shape 18mm thick ply with rather a lot of air underneath?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast