+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: yamaha b-2 amp

I'm Grant.

Digital Do Main started making them for their own amps over in japan i believe.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Bear in mind that VFET amps like these and the Sonys are a gamble. As far as I'm aware, VFET's are now unobtainable, so if it goes 'pop', you've had it!
    The trick is not to play the amp at full blast.

I'm jamie.

it wont be anywhere near that level due to room and neighbours etc.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Bear in mind that VFET amps like these and the Sonys are a gamble. As far as I'm aware, VFET's are now unobtainable, so if it goes 'pop', you've had it!
    It's also worth checking that any VFET amplifier you buy actually has VFETs in it!

For those who don't know, I have an amplifier that looks exactly like the Yamaha B-2 pictured that I bought unseen for a very low price. Unfortunately, on investigation, it turned out to have had its VFET output stages removed and replaced (not very well) by some MOSFET output modules. I was rather gutted but, actually, when the installation was tidied up and made safe and properly working, and the meters re-connected and calibrated, it sounded really nice. So much so that I still use it in the lounge today. And it's probably going to be the most reliable 'Yamaha B-2' out there!

As an aside, my good friend Tim helped me with the restoration effort and took a good deal of hilarity from the whole experience. Luckily I was able to retaliate in kind when he bought a Sony VFET amplifier a few months back to find it had been subjected to exactly the same treatment! Who is this mystery VFET/MOSFET bodger, I wonder....?
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm jamie.

i was hoping you'd see this thread adam,if i buy it you can guess where its going to be checked over
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm jamie.

a very kind chap on pfm has kindly let me borrow one to hear in my system,i pick it up on sunday.happy days!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Has it got the right transistors in it?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    i was hoping you'd see this thread adam,if i buy it you can guess where its going to be checked over
    Prepare for some ribbing in that case. He still maintains that VFET actually stands for "Very Fragile; Expect Trouble"

Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

montesquieu Guest

I'd be cautious. I haven't tried the Yamaha SIT amps but I did try a couple of Sony ones, with assorted Tannoys. Sounded ok for the money, but well behind a decent valve amp in my view.

I don't doubt that there is potential to do some cool things with SITs, as some well documented DIY projects as well as a recent Nelson Pass project demonstrated.

However I doubt very much whether many of these old jap amps that have suddenly become desirable out of rarity value really deserve their new found cult status. Some might, but in my experience, disappointment is rather more likely.

I'm Adam.

I wouldn’t be cautious at all. I have three Yamaha power amplifiers and they are all superb (even the one that isn’t what it’s supposed to be!). I still have yet to hear a VFET unit myself but various pairs of ears that I trust say they are even better than the standard FET designs. As a result I’d have no hesitation in grabbing one for a good price. But not too good a price, obviously - just in case!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast