+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Protecting Hifi from Mains problems

I'm Mike.

Default Protecting Hifi from Mains problems

I live in a rented flat, and I ;ve had 3 amps go bang on me in 3 years. Lucky not crazy expensive. My Naim amps have always been fine. I've just bought a Nak ca-5 and I'm too scared to plug it in (don't have a power amp yet anyway!). Waste of time speaking to landlord, is there an extension lead with protection I can buy to stop this happening again? Its already cost me £300 in wasted amps (possibly more). I had a JVX ax-4 and a Roksan Kandy that I never got to hear, the Kandys' power output stage was frazzled, and it defo happened in my flat, as seller demo ed it to me. It was mint too, boo hoo. I also get light bulbs blowing every month or so, when turned on.

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I get light bulbs blowing a lot and had a mains transfomer in an amp need replacing. It could be highish voltage locally or surges and spikes. I'm also wary of DC content in mains and I'm planning to use a DC blocker. Useful surge and spike protectors are used with professional computers. I have one or two of these.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Bob.

Maplin's (And most electrical suppliers) sell surge protectors or you could buy a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and that way you can still listen to your music if the power goes off (amount of time dependant on size of UPS).

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I live in a rented flat, and I ;ve had 3 amps go bang on me in 3 years. Lucky not crazy expensive. My Naim amps have always been fine. I've just bought a Nak ca-5 and I'm too scared to plug it in (don't have a power amp yet anyway!). Waste of time speaking to landlord, is there an extension lead with protection I can buy to stop this happening again? Its already cost me £300 in wasted amps (possibly more). I had a JVX ax-4 and a Roksan Kandy that I never got to hear, the Kandys' power output stage was frazzled, and it defo happened in my flat, as seller demo ed it to me. It was mint too, boo hoo. I also get light bulbs blowing every month or so, when turned on.
    a mains regenerator would do it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Doesn't explain why the Naim is seemingly immune from the problem.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

Surge protectors could potentially work to protect against over voltage problems but with the amount that you suggest the problem happens you would have to replace the surge protector regularly as the devices inside can tend to degrade a little each time they operate. Be wary of the claims that the manufacturers make about the financial level of compensation available if the protector was to fail. There are so many caveats in the T&Cs that you will have more chance of a unicorn flying through your living room, shitting chocolate rainbows on a Thursday between the hours of 9 and 10 pm than getting a payout.

A mains regeneration device would probably protect your gear, but they are not cheap. Sounds like the real cure would be to sort the electrics out but this could be either a problem with the building electrics or a national grid problem.
    ~Paul~

I'm Shaun.

Mmm... strange one this as back in 2012 I bought a Tacima surge protected block via Amazon and about a year later my then CD player went 'pop'. A year after that my Pioneer SACD player went 'pop' via the same block.
    For the last three years I have used a bog standard plain old block and not had a problem. I still don't understand what the hell could have happened there.

Oh yes, both occurred in different houses.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 07-12-2017 at 14:46. Reason: Addition

I'm Martin.

Could just be random equipment failure and absolutely nothing to do with the mains, or mains surges. In fact I'd put money on it. Stuff does just go pop sometimes, even well respected hi-fi brands.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Could just be random equipment failure and absolutely nothing to do with the mains, or mains surges. In fact I'd put money on it. Stuff does just go pop sometimes, even well respected hi-fi brands.
    Yep, neither of them were particularly expensive items.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Agreed - though it might be useful to know if the mains voltage is consitently high (> 250V).
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast