+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Keeping hifi on

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - I could say plenty, but I'm shy, and it's a family forum!

Marco.
    Can you age restrict threads?
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm Dave.

When I'm doing a demonstration, I always like the speakers to warm up for 5 minutes or so, as they seem to suffer at least as much as electronics by being cold. Not always possible though, as customers want a quick switch over.

I'm Neil.

Default Keeping hifi on

For sure LFD gear is a tiny bit more bright when cold, takes around 15 minutes and voila, the true balance of the sound is there.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Speakers can be the biggest issue if you live in a house where the temperature isnt constant, my system changes wildly with the weather...
    As for electronics in genral, I would always advise turning everything off when not in use, good, well designed equipment shouldnt need more than around a half hour to stabilise, and come on song.
    A.
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm tony.

57s are a pig to come on song if switched off.

Have took to leaving them on of late.......hopefully the smell of smoke will wake me!

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

There are of course exceptions, Stats do indeed benefit from being left on longer to stabilise.
    A...
    Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post

Have took to leaving them on of late.......hopefully the smell of smoke will wake me!
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Martyn.

I, like most ( I suspect ) on this Forum, switch on to listen to the music and switch off
    when they’ve finished.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

Always switched off here when not in use. But to the bigger issue, I'm never quite sure whether it's the system that improves about 20 minutes in, or I improve as the first pint takes effect...

Pete

I'm Geoff.

It's the system, but the beer doesn't hurt.

Last edited by walpurgis; 10-12-2017 at 17:03.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post

Apart from two house moves and maybe three power cuts, my '57s have been powered up for forty five years.

If switched off they are usable withing a couple of minutes and won't improve any further after maybe 20 minutes, but it is best to leave them on (the late Peter Walker recommended doing so, and that is what he did: only switching them off when going away on holiday). Switching them on and off doesn't do the diodes in the Cockroft-Walton voltage multipiers much good.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast