+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Santa's left a parcel early...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looks fab, Gaz! IMO, Sony, when they get it right, make the best TVs by a country mile - *if* natural looking colours and visual realism are most important to you [count me in]

Enjoy, although do you not play the sound for movies through your system? As good as the TV itself will be, that's bound to pale in comparison with how it would sound through your main speakers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looks fab, Gaz! IMO, Sony, when they get it right, make the best TVs by a country mile - *if* natural looking colours and visual realism are most important to you [count me in]

Enjoy, although do you not play the sound for movies through your system? As good as the TV itself will be, that's bound to pale in comparison with how it would sound through your main speakers!

Marco.
    Marco **Warning** do not have a look at one of these OLED Sony TVs. You will want to chuck yours straight in the skip!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Martin.

If the sound comes off the actual tv screen don't you need 2 tellys for stereo?

65 incher, that's the key. When getting a new telly it must always be bigger than the old one. It's the rules.

Iwent from 50 to 55. Was going to get the 65 but I chickened out. Gaz clearly made of sterner stuff.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

65 incher, that's the key. When getting a new telly it must always be bigger than the old one. It's the rules.

Iwent from 50 to 55. Was going to get the 65 but I chickened out. Gaz clearly made of sterner stuff.
    If you have the 65 inches just stick your head dead centre and you'll get stereo!

Just a thought...65 inches may not be big enough for some! I think they do a 75 incher!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know, but I'd imagine there are rows of transducers of some sort energising/moving the screen surface, working rather like an isodynamic speaker. If so these could be arranged in 'left' and 'right' configurations. I wonder if an oscillating screen surface would produce any detectable doppler effects in the viewed image. Light wavelengths are probably too small I expect.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

The Sony website shows you how the sound works by vibrating the screen but as it is so high frequency no visual impairment is discernible.

There is a left and right configuration for stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Marco **Warning** do not have a look at one of these OLED Sony TVs. You will want to chuck yours straight in the skip!
    Lol.... I'm quite happy with my HDR-ready LCD.

In terms of the sound factor though, if you want to do home-cinema right, and give that lovely Sony TV the 'supporting cast' it deserves, then you'll need a top-notch AV amp, with subs, centre and surround sound speakers to match.

The Eddies would 'just about do', as fronts!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

I also cannot get as worked up about picture as I do about sound.

I think I would end up hooking it up to a proper amp and some big speakers instead. I though Gaz had his previous set up running through his Edingdales?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm not sure what his set-up is, in that respect. However, experience tells me that to do home-cinema right, soundwise, you need a dedicated amp (and the right supporting speakers).

I get "worked up", in that way, with anything I own that needs optimising!

And if you're into movies, then picture quality is every bit as important as sound quality.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm James.

I have seen Gaz's TV with 4K material and it certainly the best picture I have ever seen. Like going from CRT to 1080p HD flatscreen. The OLED technology is simply stunning. Screens manufactured by LG and also used by Panasonic but I think the Sony implementation is the best.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast