+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Santa's left a parcel early...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yup, as ever, it's all in the implementation

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Looks fab, Gaz! IMO, Sony, when they get it right, make the best TVs by a country mile - *if* natural looking colours and visual realism are most important to you [count me in]

Enjoy, although do you not play the sound for movies through your system? As good as the TV itself will be, that's bound to pale in comparison with how it would sound through your main speakers!

Marco.
    Thanks Marco, as huge white boxes go its pretty cool.
    Putting it in the wall tonight mate, bit of heft so need to wait for Son m’Lad to finish work.

Sound system for watching movies..absolutely....through the main system.
    Oppo 203 digital out > Young Dac > Densen Pre > 8 Watts of Nick’s SET magic> Eddingdales.
    Cant get it past 10 o’clock on the volume pot, things get a bit seismic after that.
    The new Oppo player sounds significantly better via digital out than their previous players too, much faster processor and improved AV circuitry apparently.

The TVs sound system is perfect for low level late evening listening, but Movie night it gets cranked up.

Sound from the Sony itself is a bit special for a TV, heard Sony’s audio demo in store and the biggest wow factor (aside the sound quality itself) is how the audio system places sounds to match exactly where they should be on the screen?
    Two pairs of vibrating actuators vibrate the panel...as James says, left and right for stereo, to place audio exactly to where its happening on the screen.

Voices seem to come directly from wherever the person is on the screen and ambient effects come in from way outside the TVs boundary.
    Its genuinely next level stuff, an effect that really draws you in to what your watching.
    Will absolutely be good enough, but still cranking it up through the Eddies for movie night.

Sony do a 77” version...Lottery winners need only apply and besides, I enjoy having two kidneys too much to even think about it. (A bargain at 20 Grand)

I always said 60” Oled 4K would be the stepping off for me AV wise, short of a lottery win.
    Coming from a “plenty big enough” 60 plasma the size wont be night and day bigger, but picture quality will be night and day better.
    Too many compromises with projectors for me, so another box ticked I think.

Great ‘real world’ review here:
    https://youtu.be/rNfKDjQkd-o
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-12-2017 at 08:57.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Shane.

Sounds very much like NXT to me. Looked very promising in the late 90’s but then disappeared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distri...de_loudspeaker
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Thanks Marco, as huge white boxes go its pretty cool.
    Putting it in the wall tonight mate, bit of heft so need to wait for Son m’Lad to finish work.

Sound system for watching movies..absolutely....through the main system.
    Oppo 203 digital out > Young Dac > Densen Pre > 8 Watts of Nick’s SET magic> Eddingdales.
    Cant get it past 10 o’clock on the volume pot, things get a bit seismic after that.
    The new Oppo player sounds significantly better via digital out than their previous players too, much faster processor and improved AV circuitry apparently.

The TVs sound system is perfect for low level late evening listening, but Movie night it gets cranked up.

Sound from the Sony itself is a bit special for a TV, heard Sony’s audio demo in store and the biggest wow factor (aside the sound quality itself) is how the audio system places sounds to match exactly where they should be on the screen?
    Two pairs of vibrating actuators vibrate the panel...as James says, left and right for stereo, to place audio exactly to where its happening on the screen.

Voices seem to come directly from wherever the person is on the screen and ambient effects come in from way outside the TVs boundary.
    Its genuinely next level stuff, an effect that really draws you in to what your watching.
    Will absolutely be good enough, but still cranking it up through the Eddies for movie night.

Sony do a 77” version...Lottery winners need only apply and besides, I enjoy having two kidneys too much to even think about it. (A bargain at 20 Grand)

I always said 60” Oled 4K would be the stepping off for me AV wise, short of a lottery win.
    Coming from a “plenty big enough” 60 plasma the size wont be night and day bigger, but picture quality will be night and day better.
    Too many compromises with projectors for me, so another box ticked I think.

Great ‘real world’ review here:
    https://youtu.be/rNfKDjQkd-o
    Nice one, mate. Pity though you can't connect up a centre speaker and some rears [especially the rears], as they do make a difference to the whole 'movie experience'. Maybe at some point a dedicated AV amp, to facilitate that, would be cool addition?

I'll check out that video in a mo'

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Sounds very much like NXT to me. Looked very promising in the late 90’s but then disappeared
    Yes I agree.

I'm still using my TDK NXT multimedia speakers with my PC. Very effective.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Used to run a 5.1 AV setup Marco, so I hear what your saying on decent seperate AV kit.

But like hifi being about the music, it all went back to the enjoyment of the movie rather than the kit for me, if that makes sense?
    Hit that point where box fatigue set in I think!

My 2.0 system got to the point where it made a noise watching movies that reminded me of what I heard at the Cinema, including effects steering going over your head and all that good stuff.
    It became ‘good enough’ at that point I guesss, with the Eddingdales and other recent changes in play even more so.

AV audio done for me, I just needed to max out the visual side of it, hence going 4K with the telly and new Oppo player.
    stick a fork in it and call it done.

I’ll stick some photos up when its installed.
    Be sorting the Troops coming over in the New Year mate, try and tie it up with when your back in the old country.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 07-12-2017 at 12:13.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

Yeah, I *totally* get that, mate. I've got my 5.1 system downstairs in the lounge (with the TV) so it doesn't intrude on my main system in the listening/music room.

Anyway, you've got some fun times ahead, on various fronts, with your forthcoming hols to Sweden and stuff, so I hope you have a ball!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm tony.

Gary came over to my place last night to administer some emergency attention to my poor wee lenco.

Gave him a shuftie at my 2 channel av set up. Cheapo lg telly/recently bought sony blu ray £130 at richer sounds/tq claymore/spendor s1s.

I had a 5.1 sony av amp running a sub-its now all in the cellar.

We stuck a bit of dark knight rising on....the scene where they are trying to kill the DA shooting bazookas and ramming things with bin lorries.

Cant say we were underwhelmed.....bang for buck im well chuffed with a good 2 channel set up.

Fuck only knows what Garys will do- will of course bring jack or jim with me to the screening!

I'm Gary.

Yup,
    Through Tony's TQ Claymore amp and Spendor speakers it was trouser flappingly good.
    Sound was really cinematic and totally drew you into the movie.
    Great picture too from the new BluRay player, image as sharp as a tack.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Gary came over to my place last night to administer some emergency attention to my poor wee lenco.

Gave him a shuftie at my 2 channel av set up. Cheapo lg telly/recently bought sony blu ray £130 at richer sounds/tq claymore/spendor s1s.

I had a 5.1 sony av amp running a sub-its now all in the cellar.

We stuck a bit of dark knight rising on....the scene where they are trying to kill the DA shooting bazookas and ramming things with bin lorries.

Cant say we were underwhelmed.....bang for buck im well chuffed with a good 2 channel set up.

Fuck only knows what Garys will do- will of course bring jack or jim with me to the screening!
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Gary.

Tellys up on the wall...
    Not a lot bigger than the 60” it replaced, couple of inches wider but same height.
    Difference is this is all screen, bezels about 8mm all round.

Notice that thing up the top right hand corner?
    Its a biro pen...this is a thin telly.
    A closer look...

Last edited by Gazjam; 10-12-2017 at 13:23.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast