+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite albums?

I'm James.

Default What are your favourite albums?

When I got my first taste of real hifi I listened to dire straits and they easily became my favourite, my favourite album of theirs has to be their debut album from 1978.

Another personal favourite is Yola by Eleanor McEvoy a beautifully recorded album it also helps that Eleanor herself is a fan of hifi.

This last one is a little different, I've always been a huge gaming nerd sinse I first played the N64, when Xbox came out it came with the brilliant game halo and with halo came the best video game soundtrack I've ever heard, huge orchestral pieces with a very distinct character that I've never heard anywhere else. There are alot of halo games and in turn alot of soundtracks but my personal favourite is the halo odst soundtrack I recommend you give it a listen on YouTube to see what I'm on about, the first song starts with rain and thunder and sounds so realistic it's as if you're in the middle of it

So what's your favourite albums and why?
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Before anyone replies, would you like me to correct the grammar of the title?
    Barry

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Before anyone replies, would you like me to correct the grammar of the title?
    Have you already changed it or am I just stupid?
    You'll come to realise that alot of what I type is full of spelling and grammar mistakes
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm Shaun.

For me it has to be Brand X's album Moroccan Roll on the Charisma label. Around the time this was released I had been heavily into Genesis and found this an even better expression of Phil Collins' drumming skills. Also at this time I had been involved in a huge motorcycle smash that had me in hospital for five and a half months so this was a very welcome album when I got out and set up my first ever 'real' hi-fi system. I still have this original vinyl from 1978 and a more up to date CD version which is just not as good as the vinyl depending on how my mood is.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    For me it has to be Brand X's album Moroccan Roll on the Charisma label. Around the time this was released I had been heavily into Genesis and found this an even better expression of Phil Collins' drumming skills. Also at this time I had been involved in a huge motorcycle smash that had me in hospital for five and a half months so this was a very welcome album when I got out and set up my first ever 'real' hi-fi system. I still have this original vinyl from 1978 and a more up to date CD version which is just not as good as the vinyl depending on how my mood is.

A big "yes" to Moroccan Roll - one of my favourite vinyls. Was actually the first album I cleaned when I reinstated my turntable a few months ago. :-)
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymonoped View Post
    A big "yes" to Moroccan Roll - one of my favourite vinyls. Was actually the first album I cleaned when I reinstated my turntable a few months ago. :-)
    Since discovering Moroccan Roll I have caught up with most of their other stuff and have a much bigger selection on vinyl than CD. Their whole sound is stunning and the playing is sublime.

I'm Mike.

I'll have a listen to Moroccan Roll but my favourite album has to be Dark Side of the Moon. I was 11 when I first heard it and it just blew me away. 40 something years later and I still listen to it (although not on the original quadrophonic vinyl that I had back then - that's been worn away!)

I'm Geoff.

DSoTM is my least favourite Floyd album. Bought it on vinyl when it first came out and never liked it much. Also got fed up with all the stands at audio shows playing it non-stop at the time too. (yes, I was going to audio shows in 1973 )

I far prefer The Wall and Wish You Were Here is good too.

Last edited by walpurgis; 06-12-2017 at 20:14.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    DSoTM is my least favourite Floyd album. Bought it on vinyl when it first came out and never liked it much. Also got fed up with all the stands at audio shows playing it non-stop at the time too. (yes, I was going to audio shows in 1973 )

I far prefer The Wall and Wish You Were Here is good too.

Certainly know what you mean about the hi-fi shows and DSOTM. Endless Linn/Naim/Isobarik nonsense back in the late seventies and early eighties.

Also agree that WYWH is probably a better musical experience but hey, each to their own. Moroccan Roll certainly won't be to some peoples taste.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by perlogalism View Post
    I'll have a listen to Moroccan Roll but my favourite album has to be Dark Side of the Moon. I was 11 when I first heard it and it just blew me away. 40 something years later and I still listen to it (although not on the original quadrophonic vinyl that I had back then - that's been worn away!)
    Mike, I was fourteen when I first heard DSOTM and that was back in 1973 just after its release. I was just blown away with all of that 'new' synth stuff that was emerging around that time and still, even now, spend time programming the sequence from 'On The Run' into my synths in an attempt to do some differing variation on it. Fabulous piece of music all the way through the whole album but I think some of us need some time away from it every now and then.

Another I discovered around 1973 was 'Selling England By The Pound' but this album shaped my whole musical future. It was probably the biggest positive event of my life and affected everything I have listened to since, again mainly for that ARP Pro Soloist sound.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast