+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambridge CP2 phono stage, any users ?

I'm steve.

Default Cambridge CP2 phono stage, any users ?

I’m just wondering if anyone on the forum is using the latest Cambridge phono stage the CP2, I’m particularly interested in how it performs with MC cartridges ? With it being such a new model there are no magazine reviews about it as yet, has anybody got one and can comment ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Barry.

There are 6 reviews on Richer Sounds , the last one concerning MC cart.

https://www.richersounds.com/cambridge-cp2-black.html

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    There are 6 reviews on Richer Sounds , the last one concerning MC cart.

https://www.richersounds.com/cambridge-cp2-black.html
    Yes I noticed them before and the comment about the low gain so I’ve decided to get the Rega Phono MC which has 2 gain settings as well as adjustable load impedance and capacitance, even on the lower of the 2 gain settings it has 8.5dbs more gain than the Cambridge and overall it’s a more complete package, but obviously at a higher price.

I'm steve.

Well things don’t always go to plan, a couple of days ago I returned the Rega fully intending to walk out of the shop with a new one, only to be told they had none in stock and they were unsure of when they’d get anymore in, disappointing
    As it turned out it was a blessing in disguise as the following day I had a serious failure of the electrics in my house which needed the help of an emergency electrician, who sorted the problem(s) out but at quite a considerable cost, had I bought the Rega the day before I would have been really struggling to cover the cost.
    Due to what I had to pay out the Rega became a no go, so I went with the backup plan and bought the CP2 earlier today.
    Initial impressions are very favorable considering I’m suffering from a bad cold atm and my hearing is not at its best. By my estimation the CP2 is every bit as good as the Rega and is totally faultless across the board, if anything the CP2 may have very slightly more at the very top, giving just a bit more sheen to cymbals which I really like. The lower gain is not really a problem, just turn up the volume on the amp a bit more, noise floor is vanishingly low too. Be nice to hear it at its full potential when I get rid of this damned cold

I'm Geoff.

I've always regarded the Cambridge Audio phono stages as being respectable. Certainly better than anything else I've heard for that kind of money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

I do think that CA gets a bit of an unfair bashing at times. I have had a look at the 651p circuit that the CP2 replaced and it looked very well thought out. I imagine that the CP2 is an even more tweaked version. From another manufacturer you would be paying 4 or 5 times more and often you can for something that is far more basic.
    ~Paul~

I'm steve.

Default Cambridge CP2 phono stage, any users ?

Into my 3rd day of listening with the CP2, so far I have to say I’m impressed with the replay quality in combination with my Audio Technica ATF7. I’m wondering if I could glean a bit more of an improvement by changing the interconnect cable between the CP2 and my CXA60 amplifier, due to the relative position of my components I have to use a 3M long cable and an inexpensive one bought off ebay, unfortunately at this length “audiophile” cables tend to be very costly so I’ve been having a look round online and came across UGREEN cables which seem well reviewed and very reasonably priced. On that basis and the fact that they look extremely well made I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon which hopefully I should get before Christmas, be interesting to see what difference it makes.

I'm Gary.

Have you thought of making your own?

Klotz MC5000 cable at less than £3 per metre and RCA plugs of your choice ( KLEI Copper Harmony I found good).

For around £70 or so may be as good as it gets in performance, unless you pay a lot more money.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Into my 3rd day of listening with the CP2, so far I have to say I’m impressed with the replay quality in combination with my Audio Technica ATF7. I’m wondering if I could glean a bit more of an improvement by changing the interconnect cable between the CP2 and my CXA60 amplifier, due to the relative position of my components I have to use a 3M long cable and an inexpensive one bought off ebay, unfortunately at this length “audiophile” cables tend to be very costly so I’ve been having a look round online and came across UGREEN cables which seem well reviewed and very reasonably priced. On that basis and the fact that they look extremely well made I went ahead and ordered one from Amazon which hopefully I should get before Christmas, be interesting to see what difference it makes.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    Have you thought of making your own?

Klotz MC5000 cable at less than £3 per metre and RCA plugs of your choice ( KLEI Copper Harmony I found good).

For around £70 or so may be as good as it gets in performance, unless you pay a lot more money.
    I’ve made up cables before with Klotz cable but not the one you mentioned, I think I used the AC110 if memory serves, which was pretty thin and may suffer a bit at longer lengths, I’ll have to investigate the type you mention, thanks.

I'm Gary.

If I remember correctly one of the important factors is capacitance, perhaps the thickness of the cable is not as relevant. If I'm wrong someone will no doubt correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    I’ve made up cables before with Klotz cable but not the one you mentioned, I think I used the AC110 if memory serves, which was pretty thin and may suffer a bit at longer lengths, I’ll have to investigate the type you mention, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast