+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Decca Gold Cartridge (Line Contact Stylus - serviced and boxed)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Haha, no problem and I am glad it still lives!

Your a lucky man having both a gold and blue to try back to back.

Look forward to your opinions.
    Thanks Jim,. I am a tit.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Haha, no problem and I am glad it still lives!

Your a lucky man having both a gold and blue to try back to back.

Look forward to your opinions.
    I'm able to do that, but with all things Decca, you are at the mercy of the enormous variation of build quality and hence sound quality. I have three 'Blues', each offering a different performance: excellent; sufficient and acceptable, and one which is definitely sub-standard.

My sample of the 'Gold' is very good indeed, but it is mounted in the GB block. I loaned it to Marco a few years ago, fitted to a Sumiko Headshell, for him to audition. He reviewed it favourably, but ultimately decided it wasn't for him.
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I'm able to do that, but with all things Decca, you are at the mercy of the enormous variation of build quality and hence sound quality. I have three 'Blues', each offering a different performance: excellent; sufficient and acceptable, and one which is definitely sub-standard.

My sample of the 'Gold' is very good indeed, but it is mounted in the GB block. I loaned it to Marco a few years ago, fitted to a Sumiko Headshell, for him to audition. He reviewed it favourably, but ultimately decided it wasn't for him.
    Luckily, the blue I have here is very good. Very very good. The Gold has a bit more detail I feel but that's initial impressions. I'm far too tired to take anything serious from it. I need to acclimatise to the fabulous performance of the Gold first.

Thankfully, it appears this has been money well spent.

I'm jamie.

ive not heard the mk5's but if they are anything like the mk4's they are bloody good.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80
    Luckily, the blue I have here is very good. Very very good. The Gold has a bit more detail I feel but that's initial impressions. I'm far too tired to take anything serious from it. I need to acclimatise to the fabulous performance of the Gold first.
    Yes I agree, the Gold has more detail, but the Blue (a good one) has more 'boogie' factor.

Take time setting up your Gold Oliver. Having a Van Den Hul stylus profile (or is the 'Microscanner'?), experimenting with the VTA (or more accurately the SRA) will be more than worthwhile.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-12-2017 at 19:29.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    ive not heard the mk5's but if they are anything like the mk4's they are bloody good.
    IMO the Mk. IV (an SC4E), is better, but there is less potential for interference from the TT's motor with the Mk. V, due to the metal housing (which comes with its own set of compromises).
    Barry

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes I agree, the Gold has more detail, but the Blue (a good one) has more 'boogie' factor.

Take time setting up your Gold Oliver. Having a Van Den Hul stylus profile (or is the 'Microscanner'?), experimenting with the VTA (ore more accurately the SRA) will be more than worthwhile.
    I've had a bit of an adjust of VTA and it more authoritive. Thanks to Jamie for the VTA tip.

I'm Andrew.

A bit late, but welcome to the DECCA club. I have the Maroon and I also got this sent off for the full monty. You'll never look back!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

The blue was well sorted by John Wright just before I used it and it has an almost new unused stylus, albeit from 1976!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    A bit late, but welcome to the DECCA club. I have the Maroon and I also got this sent off for the full monty. You'll never look back!
    I think your Maroon is a bit special isn't Andy, paratrace tip?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast