+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Decca Gold Cartridge (Line Contact Stylus - serviced and boxed)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    So glad you got it set up properly. Many folk have failed to get the best out of the Decca because they did not optimise set up and as you found it likes mass both on the headshell and ideally arm. Damping definitely helps.

The Decca works rather well with the Croft amp as you would expect. My impression was as if the cartridge was directly transducing the information on the record. Nearly all other cartridges sound slow and slightly veiled in comparison.

It reveals all in a very transparent direct way which can be startling on some material.

Sounds like the Jolida has some synergy with the Decca?
    I'm getting better synergy with the Wizard phonostage at the minute because I've only experimented with the arm with that phonostage in. I'm going to put the Jolida back in later and have a listen.

I don't think I'm quite "dialed" in just yet. Bass lines still seem a bit recessed but transparency and clarity are very good.

I wouldnt class my ability high enough to set the Decca up 100% in less than a day

The problem I have is that the presentation is so different and immediate that I don't actually know whether the Decca is right or the Goldring was right.

I need an expert, luckily there is one coming to collect his Decca Blue

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

James if you are travelling on the Birmingham New Road then call in for a quick demo, you've got my number.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    James if you are travelling on the Birmingham New Road then call in for a quick demo, you've got my number.

Cheers Alan.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Sandro.

WP_20171208_10_48_56_Pro.jpgWP_20171208_10_57_28_Pro.jpgWP_20171208_10_57_54_Pro.jpgWP_20171208_11_02_10_Pro.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

Thisis quite off topic I have not heard your amplifiers so I can not comment
    This was obviously a joke: Decca cartridges only work whit Pass Labs. (it isquite true btw)

Any way here as promised same pictures of my 25W F5
    If you need more info I may be tempted to start a tread ...

Briefley: Populated PCB
    Main PSU 1000VA 24 VAC 200,000 uF
    Right mono-block outside
    Left Mono Block inside (one PCB as in pictures 100,000uF and speaker protection)

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    WP_20171208_10_48_56_Pro.jpgWP_20171208_10_57_28_Pro.jpgWP_20171208_10_57_54_Pro.jpgWP_20171208_11_02_10_Pro.jpg

This was obviously a joke: Decca cartridges only work whit Pass Labs. (it isquite true btw)

Right mono-block outside
    Left Mono Block inside (one PCB as in pictures 100,000uF and speaker protection)
    You've done a good job !!!! I thinks its way beyond my capabilities just yet 🤣

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post

Right mono-block outside
    Looks like my sort of amp!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sandro.

Off topic (sorry)
    There are many variations to the F5
    the vanilla version rated at 25 W can be made whit just 4 to 6 transistors per side a 600 VA 18 V traffo and loads of information on how to do it quite and easy project IMO
    I have just used a big hammer to do the job if there is enough demand I can start a tread about it
    I have currently a 16X15 foot living room and 4 Homes speakers and the loudest I listen (and next door neighbours)give me a 8.5 V peak measured at the speakers terminals of an easily possible 22V
    Still I suppose there is nothing wrong whit the amplifiers you have
    And then again it replaced a Roxan Kandi (100W ?) that compared to it sounded like crapp or a Kreel integrated that was a bit wimpy and returned to the shop.

Bigman80 Guest

Back on topic slightly,

Mikey, the Vivant is coming Tuesday so the Decca will be used to test it's output. I have to say, it sounds stunning through the Wizard MM stage and the Jolida.

I am starting to wonder if their is something in the water up there!!

First the Slagle, now the Decca. You keep selling, I'll keep buying

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Back on topic slightly,

Mikey, the Vivant is coming Tuesday so the Decca will be used to test it's output. I have to say, it sounds stunning through the Wizard MM stage and the Jolida.

I am starting to wonder if their is something in the water up there!!

First the Slagle, now the Decca. You keep selling, I'll keep buying

The very low volume from Decca to Vivant to Slagle was the reason they were sold.

If I used the Decca it would have to be at 1 or 2 ( on a clock dial ) to be at the same volume on MC side at 8 or 9 on volume control with 6 being 0. I could have either the Slagle or the TQ Claymore as a pre from the Vivant and at full volume using the Decca and you could still talk over it. Using the TQ Claymore phono input made no difference?

If I used the Zyx on MC side and I had it at full volume the house 6 doors down would have been complaining as well as my speakers.

I'm still convinced it's an issue with the Vivant/Decca combo but it's been checked and gain increased last time Alan had it, however I did plan to send it back to Alan again along with the Decca, but another Zyx came up for sale so I bought that and the difference was staggering, so it couldn't have been a mismatch between stage/pre/power as the MC is fine. I then thought why piss about with the Decca just get rid, right decision, no idea, but the Zyx is just as good, and in the context of my system and taste it's perfect.

If the levels had been the same neither the Slagle or the Decca would have been sold trust me.

I just need to get my amp side suited to the Tannoys then I won't be buying anything else hardware wise as this is my final system.

So really just one piece of the jigsaw left to find and that's it, only thing I'll be buying will be music

Be interesting to hear if you find any issues wth the Vivant or not, I'm waiting on an amp arriving next weekend before sending my Vivant to Alan for upgrade, I'd rather have it here while the amp is on demo so I can hear my Turntable through it.

Once I send Alan my Vivant it would be great if he could borrow the Decca and try it on my Vivant and see if he has the same issue. If he doesn't then it won't matter as I don't own one now

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    The very low volume from Decca to Vivant to Slagle was the reason they were sold.

If I used the Decca it would have to be at 1 or 2 ( on a clock dial ) to be at the same volume on MC side at 8 or 9 on volume control with 6 being 0. I could have either the Slagle or the TQ Claymore as a pre from the Vivant and at full volume using the Decca and you could still talk over it. Using the TQ Claymore phono input made no difference?

If I used the Zyx on MC side and I had it at full volume the house 6 doors down would have been complaining as well as my speakers.

I'm still convinced it's an issue with the Vivant/Decca combo but it's been checked and gain increased last time Alan had it, however I did plan to send it back to Alan again along with the Decca, but another Zyx came up for sale so I bought that and the difference was staggering, so it couldn't have been a mismatch between stage/pre/power as the MC is fine. I then thought why piss about with the Decca just get rid, right decision, no idea, but the Zyx is just as good, and in the context of my system and taste it's perfect.

If the levels had been the same neither the Slagle or the Decca would have been sold trust me.

I just need to get my amp side suited to the Tannoys then I won't be buying anything else hardware wise as this is my final system.

So really just one piece of the jigsaw left to find and that's it, only thing I'll be buying will be music

Be interesting to hear if you find any issues wth the Vivant or not, I'm waiting on an amp arriving next weekend before sending my Vivant to Alan for upgrade, I'd rather have it here while the amp is on demo so I can hear my Turntable through it.

Once I send Alan my Vivant it would be great if he could borrow the Decca and try it on my Vivant and see if he has the same issue. If he doesn't then it won't matter as I don't own one now
    I understand mate, even though I'm not sure what's going on in terms of gain. The Wizard has the standard amount of gain and so does the Vivant. I have noticed that Jimbos Decca blue has slightly higher output but in my system it's not an issue.

I am sure you are happy with where you are at and I sincerely hope your new amp is the final piece.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast