+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Power/integrated amp reccomendations.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    YES !! They look proper beefy. I bet they are cracking!
    I just knew you'd like those!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    sign: I just knew you'd like those!
    Hahaha. I'm so predictable

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362023641243

Saw that but was turned off by the need for a step down transformer.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Saw that but was turned off by the need for a step down transformer.
    Fair enough, apart from the Faff of having to buy one, I've never known any issues using one

I'm Ian.

I've decided to sell off my ampage as I'm tiring of its rather monotone delivery, I listen to a fair amount of scratchy style rock, so need something sweeter. My amps were Naim 72/140/teddycap. I've already put them on Ebay. I've also just bought a Nakamichi ca-5 pre amp, as I heard the phono stage was good. My speakers are Ruark Talisman II, my record deck NAS interspace. I found the naim amps got worse when I introduced the NAS, as it has a more revealing, solid delivery, as the Naim amps exhibit traits of harshness it was not a good match. So I'm now looking for a power amp to match my Nak or an integrated or even pre/power combo and use the Nak only as a phono stage. The Naks matching power amp is quite rare, and I can't hang around months waiting for a decent one to turn up at the right price, I'm not hooked on getting one anyway. My thoughts are Sony ES, early Nait 5's, as I hear they're quite sweet, or small cheap UK brands like NVA, I really don't have a clue! Would rather make at a part informed decision, as buying/selling hifi can be a bit of a chore. I also listen to a cdp, well, not much, but its there. And I'm looking to get into streaming as well. Budget up to around £700. After reading a thread on here about the ALbarry amps, they intrigue me as well, tbh, there's so much out there. I did like parts of the Naim sound, but as I said it was just too grainy/harsh. I don't to go too much the other way. I did read one review of the Nak ca-5 pre that said it had a valve like sweetness to it, don't how how much truth is in that! Grateful for any suggestions.
    I've got a CA-5 which I only use for the phono stage running into a Musical Fidelity A3 duel mono integrated. The MF by it's nature produces a really sweet and precise top end and is very well balanced in all areas. If your ever get out this way you're very welcome to pop in for a listen.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm gone.

My Pass X150 power amp has just now become available in the AOS classifieds.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...X150-power-amp

EDIT: Oops - just noticed, it's a bit over budget. But then those Aleph 2 amps would be even more so!

Last edited by jandl100; 04-12-2017 at 07:04.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    I've got a CA-5 which I only use for the phono stage running into a Musical Fidelity A3 duel mono integrated. The MF by it's nature produces a really sweet and precise top end and is very well balanced in all areas. If your ever get out this way you're very welcome to pop in for a listen.
    That sounds promising, thanks. I couldn't make out from your signature which is your power amp? Would you say there are any characteristics to the CA-5?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    My Pass X150 power amp has just now become available in the AOS classifieds.
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...X150-power-amp

EDIT: Oops - just noticed, it's a bit over budget. But then those Aleph 2 amps would be even more so!

I did see that, and yes definitely out of my budget at the moment, is that Nelson Pass companu? What are you changing to?

I'm Carlos.

I have a JVC AX-1010TN that I'm thinking of putting up for sale.
    this is in excellent condition and it comes with an internal dac and remote control.

I'm Ian.

That sounds promising, thanks. I couldn't make out from your signature which is your power amp? Would you say there are any characteristics to the CA-5?
    I think the thing with the CA-5 is that it doesn't colour the music, it is very smooth but gets a really good grip on the bass, warm but with perfect punch when needed. The mids and top end are sweet and natural with no shrill or harsh edges. It is a real little gem that is starting get noticed, reflected in rising prices for good used ones.
    Amp wise I use the Nak purely as a phono stage run directly into the MF A3 integrated. The MF is a dual mono and I really like it's vibrant, punchy nature. It works very well with the Nak, 5 line inputs and a MM phono stage ( redundant but handy all the same ) and is built like a tank.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast