+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Power/integrated amp reccomendations.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You won't find a good one for £500 unfortunately.

That might just about be enough for a Croft though.
    Whats a good one? Was thinking Croft as well, would they be ok with Nak as phono stage?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    There's an A21 on ebay, are they any good?
    The one with the wood case is an early seventies item and limited in power. Reasonable sounding, but not worth £500. I've had one.

The modern silver one is likely to fetch more than £500. It's a good amp, but again, lowish power output. Should be enough to drive your Ruarks though.

Have you had a look at this? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...alve-Amplifier
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

There's an A21 on ebay, are they any good?
    I am told (never heard) that Class A Sugden are quite magical.

Walpurgis is your man.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The one with the wood case is an early seventies item and limited in power. Reasonable sounding, but not worth £500. I've had one.

The modern silver one is likely to fetch more than £500. It's a good amp, but again, lowish power output. Should be enough to drive your Ruarks though.

Have you had a look at this? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...alve-Amplifier
    I did see that one, is that the same Onix who made the oa 21? I|'ve no idea of its sound. Would it be ok with the Nak?

I'm Geoff.

I did see that one, is that the same Onix who made the oa 21? I|'ve no idea of its sound. Would it be ok with the Nak?
    I don't think it's the same Onix, the OA21 was on the market half a lifetime ago.

The Onix Melody SP3 seems well enough liked. I've not heard one. You'd need to check output/input matching between it and the Nakamichi. There's always the volume control on the Onix to help though. Quite tempted by it myself actually, it looks like quite a lot of decent valve amp for the money.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Mike.

Not so sure about valves, I do really like music to have that propulsive quality, like it rock basically, but Naim amps just too grey for me, especially now that I use a non suspended TT. A lot of people were using the old Naims with the old LP12s, which probably made them tolerable.

I'm Martin.

. And almost every What hi fi award winner seems to have a 'lean' sound, not what I need with my TT! Any 90s Jap sleepers to look out for?
    You have an issue with boomy bass so perhaps the 'leaner' ampflication is what you need? Certainly something with more damping than the Naim. That JVC might be just the job.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

All my Naim stuff sold very well on Ebay, people can't get enough of it! Now using a Yamaha cheapie I had in my attic, its a tad dull, and pretty bad in just about every way. I'm still searching. Might just get a cheapie power amp for my Nak for the time being, seen a Rotel RB870BX on the bay, should go for - £100. Hopefully that'll satisfy until something decent turns up at the right price. So much Jap stuff I see on Ebay is set price and way too high, don't know why these people bother.

I'm Geoff.

Might just get a cheapie power amp for my Nak for the time being
    Spotted these earlier. Any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exposure-...AAAOSw4PxaJVpt

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quad-306-...wAAOSwYxBaL5K7

I'm Mike.

I'm not sure but I don't think I'd like the Quad sound. I would try the Exposure, though the last one went for over £300.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast