+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a nice little upgrade

I'm jamie.

Default a nice little upgrade

well im a bit sceptical with things like this but at some point i did want a decent mains block for all my hifi plugs.
    so i bought an old olson 6 gang off of ebay,its tatty but has good quality MK sockets fitted to it.
    yesterday i took it apart and cleaned all the contact points.i also cleaned all my plug pins.

yep you've guessed it a made a difference! i didnt think it would but it has,a small amount of life has been added,pepped up you could say.
    good maintenance has proved to be beneficial
    Last edited by karma67; 25-02-2018 at 10:08. Reason: spelling police :)
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Mike.

This is normal, and why contacts, both mains and interconnecting, should be periodically cleaned/deoxidised. Each contact in a chain adds impedance, as far as I'm aware and this increases with poor contacts. Impedance is the enemy of dynamics. This is partly why dedicated mains and earths (where safe to do so) are chosen by many audiophiles. The other reason is for eradication or reduction of appliance-borne interference.

B.t.w., sKeptical is American English; we use a c (but of course you could be from over the Pond )

I'm jamie.

dont blame me i used spell check lol
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Dennis.

This started to be established for me in the 70s when I had a home built amp, Nelson-Jones 10+10, and it was connected to my Quad 33 pre using Belling-Lee coax plugs and sockets.

One day I polished the connection points and the difference was really pronounced afterwards; my landlord said that he had never heard anything like it, and an engineer friend mocked it saying that it was ridiculous engineering to make a result dependant on the resistance of plugs and sockets..

However a resisitor cannot alter dynamic range because it is linear, and affects everything equally, but that is not to say that a contact's resistance value may not change under high current conditions.

I'm Alan.

A poor contact can be anything but 'resistive'.

Micro contact points can act as diodes which for one can allow rfi to be troublesome.

+ Reply to Thread