+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Oil change advice

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    my rock 2 has an inverted bearing,after a post from mark i tried some 30.cs silicone fluid/oil.
    to my ears it seemed to reduce the noise floor,i heard a noticeable difference,tonight i tried 12,500 cs and that's better still.
    so whats going on? i can only assume the heavy viscous fluid is damping out micro vibrations?
    my only slight concern is its lubrication properties compared to oil.
    One thing you will have to do is check the speed of the platter as more viscous oils/compounds do slow them. As long as you can adjust platter speed then this is not a problem.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

ive not noticed any speed difference yet,well at least to my ears anyway.
    i must check it with a phone app
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

Well I don’t know how accurate your phone app is but I have a very accurate strobe and the effect of adjusting oil viscosity is easily measurable. Irrespective of how important (or otherwise) one feels measurements are, in this case, speed changes will affect pitch.
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

i used to run thick silicon oil when my deck had a stiff Ac controller on it. With my DC supply the logic that controls the speed correction gets upset if you go too thick. Going from 5k to 10k was enough to cause the speed to drop maybe 1-2 segments per rev of a 150 segment strobe disc, audible? Maybe just.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Deleted.

Yes, perhaps I should add that I run very thick silicone oil.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

perhaps a better application for me would be silicone oil for the top and sides of the spindle and oil for the bronze bush and well? remember its inverted.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Chris.

There is some stuff Shell make called WOM (White Oil Medical). Don't worry about finding it - buy Johnson's baby oil. It is that mineral oil with perfume. It is low viscosity and will not be affected by any normal variations in room temperature. You can get simple low viscosity technical white oils (WOT) without perfume on Amazon for pennies.If you want a viscosity figure go for "Tech 30" or simply "30".

The Medical grade is for contact with people. WOM or WOT, it is the same stuff for your purposes.

The reason I would say this is better is because it is low viscosity, pure unadulterated oil. It will not clog up due to additions to the product (although dust etc will clog anything up). And it is dirt cheap.

Use very little!
    Last edited by Lerxst; 10-12-2017 at 11:35.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    Isn't the Lenco motor a shaded pole induction design, in a similar vein to those used in old Garrards and my TD-124? If that's correct (and I may be wrong), a touch of constant linear drag actually helps speed stability which is why a 301/401/TD-124 sounds better with a touch of magnetic eddy braking, and indeed musically 'wrong' without. Eddy braking does not exist with a Lenco, but thicker oil/grease would do the same thing, and the motor has plenty of torque to cope with the drag.

It does sound like the new bearing in this instance is not quite the upgrade that Tony was expecting!
    I agree, some friction is good all this talk of how long a platter spins is rubbish. My experience of lencos is they need to run for an hour before the speed is consistent. Any multigrade engine oil is ok. Of course you can waste money on snake oil.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I agree, some friction is good all this talk of how long a platter spins is rubbish. My experience of lencos is they need to run for an hour before the speed is consistent. Any multigrade engine oil is ok. Of course you can waste money on snake oil.
    Also tend to agree with this. Thin oil will run on longer when the power is removed, but is this attribute serving any beneficial purpose?
    The quite considerable force on the tip of the thrust bearing requires an oil capable of preventing wear, which is more relevant.
    I now prefer more viscus oils which give the motor something to push against and tends to damp out rapid speed fluctuations.
    My current bearing (Pro-Ject RPM 9) in my Technics hybrid deck is running on Castrol LM grease and is as steady as a rock.

A lot will depend on what the bearing was designed to run on in this particular application, stick to the original or similar, but don't waste money on exotic stuff.

I saw a couple of GL75 decks as part of job lots in an auction last week, don't know what they brought as I had to leave before they came up.

I'm paul.

I had a collaro 2010 that sounded like a road roller until I put a heavy engine oil in then it was silent. How long the platter kept spinning was of no interest
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast