+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil change advice

I'm Deleted.

I'm not picking on Gazjam in particular, it's more that his post happens to summarise a commonly held misunderstanding regarding the time it takes for a platter to lose speed and friction and advantages/disadvantages.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    I run a lenco gl75 that had been sounding fantastic....but with a change of bearing-pure pish!
    Who's bearing did you use? I've got the Jolyon bearing in mine which is superb, or did you go for the Malaysian offering?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Equating the time the platter takes to come to a halt with friction is not really accurate. Friction could be the cause but drag imparted by shear forces within the oil are far more likely. Essentially, a thin oil will allow the platter to spin for longer but a thicker oil will make the bearing more rigid - in both cases the friction is not altered. In my own magnetic bearing there is no direct contact between the bearing parts and friction is close to zero. However, because the oil is very thick the bearing does not spin for long. If a turntable were a bicycle then 'spin down speed' would be relevant but a turntable only has to go at one consistent speed and a very slow one at that. In addition, friction levels are very low compared to relative motor power and is easily overcome. Indeed, I would counter, there are clear advantages in causing the motor to see increased load rather than decreasing it.

---------

I would strongly recommend that a ceramic ball bearing is not used in a standard bearing as it will be significantly harder than any tool steel main shaft or thrust pad and will cause increased wear in these components.
    Have you tried silicone oil I wonder and if so what were your findings?
    I have some thick 30,000 cs I may try on top of my rock2 which has an inverted bearing
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Brian.

It's the Malaysian bearing Andy . I'm away at the moment and will talk to Tony when I get back Saturday .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm tony.

pulled the bearing out cleaned it up with brake cleaner and applied gt85.

The stiction was noticeably reduced in my hand-once installed the platter spun far more freely.

John Martyn now sounded a bit like choir boy, had to have a play around with speed settings, but got there.

Will wait for an adult to come over and assist with set up.

Thanks everyone-bit a learning curve for me!

I'm Brian.

This bearing is meant to run with a specific grease mate . I will order some and relube the bearing with that .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm tony.

Brian,
    Hang fire. I think I may have mullered the poor beast with all my fiddling.

Its playing music but something is definitely not right!!!

You get lazy with digital....Im now having to work for my tunes...

I'm Deleted.

I strongly advise you try a more viscous oil.
    Account Deleted

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    Have you tried silicone oil I wonder and if so what were your findings?
    I have some thick 30,000 cs I may try on top of my rock2 which has an inverted bearing
    Yes, that is what I use, so not an oil in the traditional sense. However, the vertical load on my bearing is entirely magnetically supported. One of the problems with inverted bearings is that gravity has a tendency to cause them to run dry.
    Account Deleted

I'm tony.

Gents,
    The Gt85 is an interim measure-but has worked.

I did a bit of googling and reset my arm to roughly what others were showing in pictures

I am a complete novice, regards vinyl having taken a 30 year break and only just returned.

I googled my cart its a AT 110 MM.

I had it plumbed into my MC setting on the amp!!!!

Quick change over-----vast improvement.

My right channel aint quite right....quieter than the left can anyone assist with arm settings?

I will also relocate the tt as its sitting behind one of the 57s getting music fired at it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast