+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: harbeth factory tour video

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

In theory, perhaps, but there will always be some other issue to consider. Designing speakers is ALL about choosing your compromises, as there will ALWAYS be some, simply because the perfect loudspeaker doesn't exist - and never will!

Marco,
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    I use a combination of simulations, real measurements and my ears to voice my speakers, but my ears always get the final say. I couldn't do It without measurements. If I think there's too much treble, Sibilance or male vocals sound too chesty, then I adjust by ear until It sounds right.
    Indeed, and that's the right way to do it. However, as you say, you don't necessarily need the help of a computer to carry out those measurements.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Yes, the wood is chosen (partly) for its ability to produce sound - but it's not even trying to be neutral are accurate in any way, just sound nice.
    Wood? Where? 99% are made of MDF for obvious reasons: it is the cheapest raw material (price around 1/3 third of birch multiplex for example) and easiest to CNC cut. Cheap as raw material and you can run your CNC machine head at very high longitudinal speeds and still get pretty clean edges -LS industry loves MDF! :-)

Yes, drivers that behave more like the ideal piston are what modern speakers are about imo.
    Yet in many cases still don't sound as good as the best vintage ones.

Crappy paper cones with paper surrounds sound much better in guitar amps, but they're terrible for hi-fi.
    Lol - paper cones don't seem to hold back the sound of my Tannoy DCs in any way!

And, pretty much every quality loudspeaker I've heard using paper cones has, to my ears, sounded fantastic. But then, I like the high-efficiency approach to loudspeaker design, driven by a nice valve amp.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by forsell View Post
    Wood? Where? 99% are made of MDF for obvious reasons: it is the cheapest raw material (price around 1/3 third of birch multiplex for example) and easiest to CNC cut. Cheap as raw material and you can run your CNC machine head at very high longitudinal speeds and still get pretty clean edges -LS industry loves MDF! :-)
    I think we are talking violins here, not speakers.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Not that there is anything wrong with using MDF for a speaker cab. Or chipboard for that matter.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by forsell View Post
    I think you missed the post I was referring to (#66). Wood in musical instruments is chosen (partly) for its ability to produce sound.

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed, and that's the right way to do it. However, as you say, you don't necessarily need the help of a computer to carry out those measurements.

Marco.
    Yes I could use calcualtions but you'd have to be bonkers to do that. I can make a crossover change, and with a mouse click check the phase Is still tracking nicely and the Impedance/electical phase are still looking good.

I'm Bob.

I completely agree that a loudspeaker doesn't have to be like a musical instrument, otherwise we would need a speaker like a violin for violin sounds, another for the oboe's and another for the kettle drums, heck may as well go and hear an orchestra in a concert hall or hire in a blues band to play in my living room (Where it would sound awful as the noise would be far too powerful in a small room).

My Xbox One is made out of plastic and metal with some electrical components, no Maple, Cherry or Oak used, even my Cheviots are just an early form of MDF boxes with maybe some plywood for bracing. But they manage between them to produce a pretty good sound (Regardless of using my Quad 33/405 combo, Pioneer receiver or AIWA amp), I am sure the components of my Xbox One (Well the whole lot) is computer designed.

But when it comes to speakers and rooms, the two parts of your Hi-Fi system that have a direct bearing on the sound waves that reach your ears there is a difference, and this is why a speaker is in many ways "Like" a musical instrument, both produce sound waves and some designs work for some, others for others, with an awful lot of input from the rooms they are in, and to dismiss all pre CAD designed speakers is a mistake.

Marco is right, my point about the Stradavarius was to do with how they were made without any computers and I wouldn't have thought an awful lot of maths either, the only link is like a speaker it produces sound waves, some would say pleasing sounds.

I'm George.

I think you missed the post I was referring to (#66). Wood in musical instruments is chosen (partly) for its ability to produce sound.
    Yes, you are right. I have only read your posting but not carefully the one you were referring to so I missed the point... Sorry.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast