+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: harbeth factory tour video

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I watched the Harbeth vid but found it more parochial than anything. AS admits at one point that he has little contact with, or awareness of, the work of other designers and the truth of that is clear from some of the comments he makes. Whilst it may be true that some speaker designers may still design entirely be ear (as AS suggests) the vast majority do all the leg work using CAD and only do final voicing by ear (if that). In addition, at one point he proudly shows an injection moulded cone and, when asked, suggests this is unique to Harbeth. Well that exact cone may be but certainly the concept of injection moulding cones (rather than vacuum forming them) is nothing new at all and speaker manufacturers were doing it thirty years ago. In fact, if light, stiff and well damped cone technology is what he wants (and that does seem to be what he is saying), there are some very much more sophisticated technologies available and they have been for some time.
    Oh Dear, what Alan is talking about...? His Radial cones are nearly as old as the company itself now. No real progress, no real investment in R & D ever since... "Special Edition", "Limited Edition", "Anniversary Edition"... blabla Edition. As long as he is able to move containers of Harbeths to Mainland China & HongKong it will stay this way. His Harbeth Forum full of users fron Asia only reflects this market "Status Quo" as of now. Progress in his eyes is just only CAD based fine tunning of the crossover as it was when replacing SHL5 with SHL5 +... Just ask Howard Popeck and he will tell some stories incl. you how Alan let him down as a Harbeth dealer...

It still works for Harbeth this way and it is OK but I don't care anymore. And I am simply NOT interested what he has or not to say either in his Harbeth User Forum full of his marketing blabla speech or here...

I'm Dave.

and Harbeth have some tales about a certain ex dealer too.

I'm Grant.

people oft forget its a 2 way street as far as complaints in many cases
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martyn.

My small contribution to this Harbeth / Alan Shaw debate

Whilst my Quad 34/303 was unavailable, I ran my P3-ESRs from an old
    Arcam Alpha amplifier.
    The combination sounded remarkably good, and I understand AS's contention that
    Harbeth speakers will work with any competently designed amplifier.
    Good to get the Quad back though...

I'm Dave.

That's all god but do all competently designed amps sound the same ??

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    That's all god but do all competently designed amps sound the same ??
    I'm not coming at this from the scientific/measurist angle, but I've genuinely struggled to notice much difference between amps really. It's not night and day is it ? A fine chap from Saffron Walden sold me a Croft 25R and 7 which I adore though I currently have a Quad 303 in the system (P3ESRs), and, y'know, there's no striking difference really. One's definitely heavier though ;-)

I'm Martin.

It isn't night and day, true. If it was then one of the amps would have to be very poor indeed. Given the job of an amp is to amplify without adding or taking away anything you would really expect all competent amplifiers to sound very, very similar.

But you can't listen to an amplifier without hooking it up to speakers and that is where it can start to get sticky. Some amps will sound great through some speakers and lousy through others.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I hear differences with every amp I try. I have six sets of amplification available and each sounds different through my system. Yes, they're decent amps and my speakers are easy to drive, but very revealing.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dave.

Differences between amps is not as noticeable as differences between speakers but there all the same. I've never had, as I recall, any customer who couldn't reliably tell the difference between amps, providing the rest of the system is up to it. Whether the difference is worth spending money on is down to the individual.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    That's all good but do all competently designed amps sound the same ??

It's a good point.
    This is only a personal finding.
    You have much more experience, Dave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast