+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: harbeth factory tour video

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I hear differences with every amp I try. I have six sets of amplification available and each sounds different through my system. Yes, they're decent amps and my speakers are easy to drive, but very revealing.

Maybe you also have good ears, Geoff.

S.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    They are ruinously expensive though. I mean you would think a budget of five grand would be enough to buy a pretty good system but even if you bought the cheapest pair they do it doesn't leave much for amp and source. My experience with Harbs is very limited I will confess. Heard the Super SHL 5 at Scalford one time and that's it.

I'd like to get a go on some of the big ones at some point. Small speakers don't do much for me regardless of how good they might be.
    Ruinously expensive ?
    Just look at the price of some of the speakers reviewed in Hi-Fi News...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    Ruinously expensive ?
    Just look at the price of some of the speakers reviewed in Hi-Fi News...
    Fair point. Okay let's just say they are ruinously expensive for us mere mortals.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

It's all relative Martin - what price to put on pleasure
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - like Martyn, I thought that Harbeth speakers were sanely priced (ditto Spendor), compared with most 'high-end' speakers these days! Before I got my Tannoys, I had a pair of these: https://www.whathifi.com/spendor/sp100r2/review

12" drivers, in a huge box, for a stand-mount design, which I sat on Phase 4 Mana....

They rocked!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Interesting and enjoyable video, but here was a bit of sales talk going on - especially the part where he says his drivers are better than anything you can buy off the shelf.
    As for speaker designers that don't use software to design a speaker. That's not a speaker designer, that's a chancer or casual hobbyist.

I do agree that the human voice Is the best way to voice a speaker. I use the news channels and movies. A high quality recording of a familiar voice or voices would probably be the ultimate test.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
    As for speaker designers that don't use software to design a speaker. That's not a speaker designer, that's a chancer or casual hobbyist.
    I see. That must mean that all the respected and sought after 'pre-computer age' classic vintage speakers were the products of "chancers" surely?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Lol... Indeed. Somehow much of the best hi-fi equipment ever made, of any description, was produced in the pre-computer era. Brainpower and good judgement was enough at one time for building a lot of things - and very competently, too!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I see. That must mean that all the respected and sought after 'pre-computer age' classic vintage speakers were the products of "chancers" surely?
    I haven't got a clue how they designed crossovers pre-computer age. Like I said before, you'd have as much chance as winning the lottery, as you would blending two drivers perfectly through the crossover region without software. What most people don't understand Is a crossover Is designed to sum correctly at a certain listening height and distance. I'm afraid It's pretty much Impossible to do that without software.

But the point is, Matt, that some of the best sounding speakers ever made were produced during the pre-computer era, so clearly, the lack of such software didn't hold them back!

I doubt my Tannoy Monitor Golds, produced in 1967, would've been built using computer software, and they sound stunningly good, as do many other (even older) vintage speakers.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast