+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Valve recommendations

I'm off.

Default Valve recommendations

Hi folks

I’m thinking of treating my Mastersound dueventi to some new valves. It’s currently got a pair of Tungsol 12AU7s and quad of EH 6CA7s. I’ve also got a quad of EH EL34s I sometimes drop in. I like it a lot as is - but also wondering if other valves will bring even more. I find the 6CA7s bring a bit of extra bass grip and verve, while the EL34s open up the mid range.

Just wondering
    1) whether i’m likely to get better value out of playing with the 12AU7s or the power tubes
    2) any particular recommendations? Ideally to combine the liveliness of the CA7s with some sweeter mids, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any pointers. (And assuming a lot will be system-dependent - speakers are Shahinian SEs if that helps).

I'm James.

It's worth a play with the ECC82s. The good news is that J/J long plate ECC802S are cheap, in production so can be matched, and very well liked - I'd start there. It's so circuit dependent and also depends on what you are after and the state of the valves being rolled is important, so unless someone has experience of your amp I'd be cautious of generalisations offered along the lines of Mullards are rich, Telefunken accurate &c. Still, it's loads of fun rolling toobs, albeit bad for the pocket

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm Shaun.

A few years back I owned an Icon Audio Stereo 20PP and did a bit of valve swapping. I changed all of the valves for Gold Lion types with gold pins and found that a huge change was had by changing the 12AX7's and 12AU7's whereas sonically little difference was noticed swapping the EL84's. The whole experience cost a couple of hundred notes and for me was well worth it.

I'm off.

Thanks - interesting & seems worth a play then with the 12AU7s. (I’ve some TungSols and RCAs to hand, think I prefer the Tung Sols, may also explore some Mullards).

I find quite a big difference between EH EL34s and 6CA7s. Any views from folks here on either Tung Sol EL34Bs or winged C EL34s?

I'm Chris.

A friend of mine gets his 12AX7s from Manufacturer JJ. Slovakia. Not sure what the difference is with those and the 12AU7s without looking it up. He was looking for smooth top and deep bass and was very pleased. I better stop there as that is the extent of my knoweledge on that one.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylist View Post
    Thanks - interesting & seems worth a play then with the 12AU7s. (I’ve some TungSols and RCAs to hand, think I prefer the Tung Sols, may also explore some Mullards).

I find quite a big difference between EH EL34s and 6CA7s. Any views from folks here on either Tung Sol EL34Bs or winged C EL34s?
    Winged 'C' will hold their value better

No other opinions

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Try some M8136 instead of the 12AU7, and if your feeling flush' then some M8137 instead of the 12AX7.
    A...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm James.

Don't think there are any ECC83 in this amp? Agree about the valve choice however but I'd go gently and see if rolling the signal valves make much difference before splashing the cash on toob aristocracy.

I'm off.

Thanks for the ideas - JJs look cheap & cheerful (am wondering though how worthwhile over my current tung sols and RCAs) & M8136 indeed tempting if feeling flush. Any other shouts for favourite 12AU7s?

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylist View Post
    Hi folks

I’m thinking of treating my Mastersound dueventi to some new valves. It’s currently got a pair of Tungsol 12AU7s and quad of EH 6CA7s. I’ve also got a quad of EH EL34s I sometimes drop in. I like it a lot as is - but also wondering if other valves will bring even more. I find the 6CA7s bring a bit of extra bass grip and verve, while the EL34s open up the mid range.

Just wondering
    1) whether i’m likely to get better value out of playing with the 12AU7s or the power tubes
    2) any particular recommendations? Ideally to combine the liveliness of the CA7s with some sweeter mids, if that makes sense.

Thanks for any pointers. (And assuming a lot will be system-dependent - speakers are Shahinian SEs if that helps).
    Hi

I used to own the Dueventi amp myself and did quite a bit of tube rolling. The best AU7's for me was the Amperex or the PSVane from the modern supply, I did feel though that the Amperex were a special tube in this amp although they may be difficult to get hold of. I also like yourself tried the EH6CA7's and found these suited my taste better than the EL34's.

Lee
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

+ Reply to Thread