+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Its not xmas yet

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    It not that though is it really. I am not unhappy in that sense. I spend the rest of the year giving when I can and enjoying myself when I can. I have a dinner party when I want but I wont let this forced fun of Christmas take over.

Serenity comes from within and I wont be told its a countdown to a day of "fun" when I plaster on a fake smile. Its just not my idea of enjoying myself.

In that way Christmas is an insult to who I am. It is essentially a commercial venture to get people buying goods in the cold winter months when we should be tucked up warmly indoors.

We just see it for what it is. I get cards from people who have never picked up the phone for a chat or said come for a pint. They have never got in touch when I was at a low ebb and maybe unemployed...but a Christmas card comes through the door with seasons greetings Its become a duty to save face rather than anything of real meaning.

So we are not unhappier than anyone else but tend to see past the tinsel and baubles. There are another 364 days and I fail to see the excitement of gift giving and a turkey meal on a day of forced fun. Yes there are some nice touches but overall its stuff and nonsense.

The Christmas lovers always get away with calling us miserable scrooges but maybe they should look a bit deeper into what we are actually saying
    Hi Martin,

You make some good points, especially about 'friends' whom you rarely hear from, especially during tough times, when they're simply posted as missing, yet feel that making the dispassionate and superficial gesture of sending you a mass-produced Christmas card once a year, somehow makes up for their absence in person, so yes, bollox to that!

However, the post you've quoted of mine was not aimed at someone like you, who is clearly a warm, well-adjusted and caring human being; it was aimed at folk who begrudge the happiness and contentment of others at Christmas (and indeed at other times throughout the year), simply because it throws a spotlight on their inherent unhappiness, which they simply don't wish to face up to or admit!

I firmly believe that is why these types of people hate Christmas, simply because seeing others enjoying themselves with friends and family makes them feel bad because it showcases their sadness or loneliness, if they don't have any left of their own, and/or perhaps that they regret falling out with those they do (did) have, and driving them away. And when you're all alone, with only the demons in your head as company, it can be a very unpleasant and unsettling existence.

Now normally I'd be sympathetic to their plight, as real sadness or loneliness isn't a nice thing, but not when they're determined to spoil the fun and enjoyment of everyone else, due simply to resenting them having a better life or relationship with their partner or family than they have. That's both nasty and selfish, and something I have no time for. Jealousy has never been an attractive trait.

The bitter malcontents of this world, therefore, should learn to wallow silently in their sad existence, without resenting or begrudging others their fun or happiness...

Anyway, unlike your good self (for whatever justified reason) I don't have to "plaster on a fake smile" at Christmas because I *genuinely and wholeheartedly* LOVE it!!

If you're blessed with having really good friends, deserved of the name, and a family and wife who would do anything for you, and would stand by you through thick and thin, then why on earth wouldn't you take great pleasure from spending time in their company at Christmas, or indeed during any other time of the year?

I'm already starting to look forward to my best friend from Scotland coming down to visit for a month, my wife being off for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year, so I can spoil her in the manner she deserves, and my dad (whom I'm very close to) coming round to share some lovely meals with us, and in the process making some very nice memories, which will stay with me forever.

So forgive me if I can't help but enjoy celebrating the festive period, and having fun with my friends and family, for very genuine reasons, and so my smiling is real!

YMMV.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Oh that'll be fab, Gaz! They do Christmas properly in Sweden, like they also do in the likes of Germany, Austria and Switzerland, as they're properly geared up for it

Which part are you visiting, and who are you going with?

Marco.
    Flying out with the new Mrs Gaz, She’s Swedish herself, lives in a small town near Gothenberg.
    Her lot apparently do Christmas “propa” and shes invited me over to spend it with her.

Life can surprise you sometimes and hey...it’ll be something different!
    Looking forward to it, will be a blast.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Lol - you kept that one quiet, ma man! Nice one

Trust me, you'll have a blast spending Christmas in a genuinely Christmassy country. Make sure that you pack some proper thermal clothing though, including gloves and snow boots, as otherwise you'll regret it. Oh, and also take plenty of cash with you, as Sweden ain't cheap!

Anyway, enjoy it when it comes, and take some pics to show us of where you've been

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Gary.

Course I will.
    Just wont buy a camera over there!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Barry.

I've been informed that the tree will be a week early this year , usually 15th, not sure why this has happened but I shall not protest .

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Course I will.
    Just wont buy a camera over there!
    What not even a Hasselblad?
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    I've been informed that the tree will be a week early this year...
    Informed by whom - the local constabulary, the Queen?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Alan.

Default The lights are up

Brought the tree in from the garden and wrapped the lights around, beautiful:

Plus there are advantages with hanging speakers, the stars appear:

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Grant.

Put mine up this morning. un decorated tho. Gonna leave that

It's a biggish tree so on floor

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast