+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glanz Tonearms

I'm Hugo.

Default Glanz Tonearms

Glanz are an old Japanese name, fondly remembered by audiophiles for decades. Since 2008, audio engineer Masataka Hamada has been producing heavy, battleship stainless steel tonearms of truly epic quality, and now these are available in the UK, distributed by Timestep. We are pleased to be an authorised dealer for Glanz tonearms, which are natural partners for low compliance moving coil cartridges such as the lovely Miyajimas and some vintage SPUs. There aren't many new high mass tonearms available in the market (Ikeda are one) so the Glanz arms occupy a rarified niche, but what a lovely niche!

The range can be seen at http://www.glanztonearms.co.uk/ and you can read a bit more at Paul Rigby's website at https://theaudiophileman.com/glanz/ .

We will shortly have the 10" S Series arm on demonstration, with Miyajima Shilabe stereo and Zero monaural cartridges.

TheMooN Guest

Looks very much like Japanese Battle ship build quality there Hugo

I'm Hugo.

Battleship price too, but at least on-par with Ikeda etc.

montesquieu Guest

Looks superb, Hugo! So definitely high mass category for SPU, Miyajima, Koetsu etc.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Why aren't the arm effective masses quoted?
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Sexy Glanz

Gorgeous, Hugo. I used to use Glanz cartridges, back in the day, which sounded very musical. My kind of tonearm! If I didn't already have the Ortofon, I'd be sorely tempted

Thank goodness that the name has a 'z' at the end, rather than an 's'...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Gorgeous, Hugo. I used to use Glanz cartridges, back in the day, which sounded very musical. My kind of tonearm! If I didn't already have the Ortofon, I'd be sorely tempted

Thank goodness that the name has a 'z' at the end, rather than an 's'...

Marco.
    Indeed. Trust you to mention that!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry
    Why aren't the arm effective masses quoted?
    The effective mass is not quoted by Glanz, but since all the arms are heavy (eg almost certainly more than 30g EM) it hardly matters, but I will do some measurements and maths in due course. These are not tonearms to be used with cartridges having soft suspension.

I'm Hugo.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    The effective mass is not quoted by Glanz, but since all the arms are heavy (eg almost certainly more than 30g EM) it hardly matters, but I will do some measurements and maths in due course. These are not tonearms to be used with cartridges having soft suspension.
    Agreed, in fact nothing with a compliance of more than 5-6cu. Would still like to know what the effective masse are, so one can estimate the effect of using headshells of a non-Glantz design.
    Barry

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Agreed, in fact nothing with a compliance of more than 5-6cu.
    I'd be ok then.

Shame they don't do a 12in version of the 'B' I might well be up for that .. 'S' is out of my league sadly especially with the Ikeda 9in here already.

+ Reply to Thread