+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WTD Interesting horn loaded speakers

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    Thanks for this. That was my thinking as well and I made the guy an offer but we couldn't quite agree on the price and I thought - what happens if I don't like them and would hate to go through selling again... Do you think that the Belles would be a better choice over Agathons? Obviously, 2 different people would say a different thing...
    Sorry I can't help with Agathons as I've never heard them all I know is that the La Scala made a huge impression on me and if I could fit the Belle's in my room I'd snap them up in a heartbeat, even at the full asking price
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Sorry I can't help with Agathons as I've never heard them all I know is that the La Scala made a huge impression on me and if I could fit the Belle's in my room I'd snap them up in a heartbeat, even at the full asking price
    Now you got me thinking... Thanks, very helpful! I'll let you know if I go for them.

I'm Chris.

+1 for La Scala
    If you are ito DIY try to google Cornscala from Bob Crites.
    Easy to built, affordable component (especially the type D based on Faital)
    Just buy xover+LF driver from Bob, some local ply and the Faital component and you will have a modern La Scala/Cornwall.
    I did built one (quick built) and then a friend came with some Altec and I traded them.
    But I will build a pair back as the most impressive speaker I've ever owned (owning now in a small room a pair of Heresy ;-)

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by 5acan View Post
    +1 for La Scala
    If you are ito DIY try to google Cornscala from Bob Crites.
    Easy to built, affordable component (especially the type D based on Faital)
    Just buy xover+LF driver from Bob, some local ply and the Faital component and you will have a modern La Scala/Cornwall.
    I did built one (quick built) and then a friend came with some Altec and I traded them.
    But I will build a pair back as the most impressive speaker I've ever owned (owning now in a small room a pair of Heresy ;-)
    Hi, this looks interesting, but only as a future project. How much did it cost you altogether? Thanks!!!

I'm Chris.

Drivers are around 750eur
    horns are cheap
    xover 250$ by Crites
    wood...

I'm Rohan.

Quote Originally Posted by martinswimmer View Post
    HI, Thanks for this - I've been in touch with him over the last couple of weeks and tried to organise couriers, but to no avail. The gentleman is very reluctant to ship the speakers and for me it would be a journey of more than 9 hours each way. Do you know anyone who could safely ship them down in one go? I'd really appreciate the help.

Hi Martin,

I'll be visiting the island over the Christmas period to see family. I'm sure I could meet up with the seller to view these and check overall condition on your behalf.
    I'm a bit stumped as to who would deliver them for you. There is an island-based delivery service whose vehicles I see on the mainland sometimes- not sure if they venture as far south as London but it may be worth investigating, unfortunately I can't remember their name offhand.

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Hi Martin,

I'll be visiting the island over the Christmas period to see family. I'm sure I could meet up with the seller to view these and check overall condition on your behalf.
    I'm a bit stumped as to who would deliver them for you. There is an island-based delivery service whose vehicles I see on the mainland sometimes- not sure if they venture as far south as London but it may be worth investigating, unfortunately I can't remember their name offhand.
    Hi Rohan,

Thanks for the offer.
    I might just drive there and deal with the situation like a man...
    Some people commented that Klipsch speakers are a good bet, it's just when I listen to most of the clips on Youtube (I know it's impossible to tell) - they sound thin. On some videos - they sound fantastic, so difficult to tell.
    The Agathons seem to be a better bet.

There are 2 companies doing deliveries - one is Arran Transport and the other one Bannatyne. They wouldn't ship something like speakers...

I'm Rohan.

The ferry is quite cheap, about £30 return.

A couple of decent hotels nearby, you will probably need one with that trip! The Auchrannie is the one I'd go for. Nice place and very close to the ferry.

I had considered those Agathons myself....I have never heard horn-based speakers sadly, it is on my "to do" list!

I'm Phil.

ah now we are getting somewhere . ian s1 who sadly passed away at a very young age [ he exhibited at scalford a number of times with crimsondonkey] had these agathon ultimates and they were truly awesome . at the time i had logan summit x and i was well impressed with the scale and musicality of these big speakers . hopefully something can be arranged .

i did look briefly at pickfords gold collection service [ they do art collections etc] but i am guessing it would be prohibitively expensive

http://www.pickfords.co.uk/pickfords-gold
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    The ferry is quite cheap, about £30 return.

A couple of decent hotels nearby, you will probably need one with that trip! The Auchrannie is the one I'd go for. Nice place and very close to the ferry.

I had considered those Agathons myself....I have never heard horn-based speakers sadly, it is on my "to do" list!
    Thanks - I'll be collecting them this week. Should be fun - 20 hours of motorway driving ;-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast