+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the most versatile Amplifier you own and why ?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My Quad 510 monoblock power amps. They will drive any load between 4 and 100 Ohms, and being transformer coupled (both on the input as well as the output), one can 'stack' up to ten amps together in various series/parallel combination to supply up to 1,000 Watts. The input is fully balanced, with adjustable sensitivity.

As to versatile preamplifiers, well I guess that would have to be a Quad 44. It has five inputs whose sensitivity (both input and output levels) and equalisation can be changed through changing plug in circuit boards and through DIP switch settings, as well as a versitile set of filter functions in both roll-off point and slope. The 'Tilt' control is useful, when used judiciously and in small amounts, to correct for either an overbright or a 'dull' recording. All of the frequency adjustment controls can be switched out of the circuit if they are not needed. And it has a stereo/mono switch which I like to use when playing mono records. I don't use it much as I prefer to use a Mark Levinson preamp which has fully dual-differential balanced inputs and outputs, although as far as functions are concerned it is less versatile than the Quad, but it has a better sound performance.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Mine can be operated from my Amazon Echo, can be sited on the floor or on a shelf or table, you can use 40, 60 or 100 watt bulbs and will take a variety of shades....oh sorry, you said amp

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    XTZ A100 - can be used as an integrated, pre or power amp. Built in DAC with coax and optical inputs, two low level subwoofer outputs, MM and MC phono stages and will drive any speaker. Remote control too.

That's got to be hard to beat.
    A great pity they are no longer in the amplifier business; only speakers these days.
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Default Probably ....

Probably our Musical Fidelity M6 Encore 225.

Why?

Because (from What Hi-Fi?) review:
    What is Musical Fidelity’s M6 Encore 225? It’s a modern, premium all-in-one, which includes every bit of electronic flexibility you need to make up a system (bar speakers). There was a time when a product such as this would be seen as a compromise choice – one for those that prioritise neatness over performance. Such a product would also have been a cheaper alternative to a quality separates set-up. But one look at the Encore’s hefty price is enough to suggest there’s something more ambitious going on here.
    And MF say:

The Encore Connect is an audio preamplifier/source component allowing you to keep all your music in one place. It accepts almost any conceivable analog or digital audio source. It is also compatible with many network speakers, such as Sonos. There is a very clear, large, high-resolution full colour display so you can see what’s going on.
    In Brief

• Easy and intuitive to use
    • Huge connectivity
    • Upgradeable 1TB internal storage for over 2500 CDs (bit perfect ripping from CD drive)
    • Streaming from Spotify, Qobuz and Tidal
    • Analog preamp providing fixed and variable output
    • Compatible with many network speakers, such as Sonos
    • Large, high resolution, full colour display
    • Control with either IR handset or Apps (both Apple and Android)
    • Dual core 64bit Intel CPU - as future proof as we can make it
    • 32 Bit 384k DAC
    Lest some of you are wondering if we have any connection with MF, we don't and so please don't feel the forgoing is an advert. Apart from anything else, we are not commenting on the sound, merely responding to the question.

However, from a bygone era, the most flexible pre-amp we have ever encountered is the ultra rare (between Lecson and Meridian, time-wise) the Boothroyd Stuart / Orpheus preamp. HP still has his.
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    A great pity they are no longer in the amplifier business; only speakers these days.
    They did a CD player as well but it was several grand IIRC
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

I only have one shirt, and it's hairy...
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Richie.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    XTZ A100 - can be used as an integrated, pre or power amp. Built in DAC with coax and optical inputs, two low level subwoofer outputs, MM and MC phono stages and will drive any speaker. Remote control too.

That's got to be hard to beat.
    If you ever want to sell that, let me know

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by martian sunrise View Post
    If you ever want to sell that, let me know
    Aye, will do.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

My Nakamichi CA7 and PA7 combination probably. The power amp will drive pretty much anything and the preamp features an adjustable gain and capacitance MC and MM phono stage, tone controls and various other features I have never used. Oh, and remote control too!

The Lentek integrated has a large number of phono MM and MC adjustments, sounds great, and drives all my speakers with aplomb. The Nakamichi takes the versatility crown though on account of its driving ability.
    Last edited by oldius; 03-12-2017 at 09:48.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
    Probably our Musical Fidelity M6 Encore 225.

Why?

Because (from What Hi-Fi?) review:

And MF say:

Lest some of you are wondering if we have any connection with MF, we don't and so please don't feel the forgoing is an advert. Apart from anything else, we are not commenting on the sound, merely responding to the question.

However, from a bygone era, the most flexible pre-amp we have ever encountered is the ultra rare (between Lecson and Meridian, time-wise) the Boothroyd Stuart / Orpheus preamp. HP still has his.
    One box job done hobby over for many
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast