+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Naim good or overrated

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I care more about the contents of my last dump, than what some 'faceless Internet entity' thinks of my hi-fi (or me)!!

Marco.
    That's brilliant and well put
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vintage60 View Post
    Come on, hifi is subjective isn't it?
    Strictly speaking, no, I'd argue that it isn't - high fidelity is all about getting as close as possible to the truth. Surely there's only one truth?
    Having said that, if the truth lies at the top of a mountain and two audiophiles are climbing that mountain with the aim of getting to the top, one might be climbing the north face and one climbing the south face. They might be equally high and therefore equally close to the top but still get a very different view from their respective points on the journey.

Or I could be talking bollox

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Surely there's only one truth?
    There are various 'Holy' persuasions that might differ on that!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Dennis.

I contend that there is only one truth, but also that there is a limit to the usefulness of metaphors.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by James the Albarry lover View Post
    I haven't heard any Naim hifi myself but have saw alot of good reviews about them but I don't always trust magazine reviews as I suspect there's money going under the table for exposure, so is Naim any good?
    James I have tried to 'get' the Naim sound for more than 20 years. Over that time I've had quite a few Naim amps for home demo but just couldn't get on with the sound at all and wondered what all the fuss was about

However, as I reported a few months ago, I thought I'd have one last go to see if I could now appreciate the Naim sound and to my surprise this time it was a revelation and absolutely loved the sound

I now have both the XS2 and Supernait 2 amps, don't ask , and I now totally 'get' the Naim sound. I have also got a Naim CD5XS and a Naim Dac... that's how much I like Naim now

I have no idea why it took me so long but it might be that in the past I only tried their entry level amps and this time I moved up the range a bit. It might also be that over all that time Naim has changed it's signature sound somewhat, I have no idea

If you told me I would have a complete Naim setup some years ago I would never have believed it

The other surprise is that Naim gear really does like Naim cables so I am now using NACA5 speaker cable and the standard 5 pin din cable between Dac and amp. The only cable that isn't Naim is the Black Cat BNC cable between Cd and Dac

If you asked me to describe my Naim sound I think the best I could do is to say that it is an incredibly musical sound and always 'foot tapping' and so much fun to listen to

In the past I would have described the Naim sound as a bit harsh but the XS2 and Supernait 2 are nothing like that at all, actually quite a smoothy sound to be honest

I also love the build quality of my 4 Naim's, very solid and a joy to use especially the cd player with it's swing out drawer

So now I definitely wouldn't say Naim is overrated and would go as far to say that I think it represents pretty good value for money especially on the used market which is how I got mine. However Naim holds it's value pretty well on the used market and apparently the Naim service department is very good and can still service Naim's going back quite a few years

Do I miss my valve setup ? actually no I don't

Just my thoughts

If I decide in the future to go back to valves for some reason I know there is a ready market for my Naim gear and should sell easily
    Last edited by Ninanina; 09-12-2017 at 21:18.
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    One of my favourite Naim combos . Problems only arise when people believe their "truth" has to be shared by everyone else. The Flat Earth kinda took that road and a little of that history still lives on. I learned long ago that there are many ways to getting a sound you're happy with and I've never felt the need for others to agree with my choices (or me theirs).
    My experience was back around 1979 and although there was nothing wrong with the 42/110/snaps combo I had it really didn't suit my ears or the rest of my system at that time. I was then using IMF Super Compact loudspeakers which I loved but the Naim was just too brash for me. Twenty years later I discovered valves and realised where I had been going wrong.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Strictly speaking, no, I'd argue that it isn't - high fidelity is all about getting as close as possible to the truth. Surely there's only one truth?
    Having said that, if the truth lies at the top of a mountain and two audiophiles are climbing that mountain with the aim of getting to the top, one might be climbing the north face and one climbing the south face. They might be equally high and therefore equally close to the top but still get a very different view from their respective points on the journey.
    Nice metaphor - I think Jerry (jandl100) would understand and agree!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345