+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ESL 57s will be added to my system soon. What to expect?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosewind View Post
    EDIT: Has anyone driven ESL 57s with a small Triode amp like the Audio Note One kit amp? Is sports a mere 7.5 watts.
    I have driven mine with a low power OTL amp. It puts out 6W into 8 ohms so in fact probably puts out nearer 7.5W at the mid band impedance of 10 ohms, plus a little more at the bass end where the impedance is greater.

Not deafening levels but pretty loud.

I'm Peter.

Thanks. My room is very small at 3.7 metres by 2.7 metres (or so), so deafening levels are not required.

Also thanks for the photos. Nice to see that it can be done (and how). Much apprecciated!

I'm Peter.

Default BTH A1A valve power amps for my Quad ESL 57s

Here is a link to an interesting power amp that I am thinking of pairing with my Quad ESL 57s:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs8b...ature=youtu.be

It is an BTH A1A valve power amp, one of two mono blocks - the other one is faulty but will be repaired. The seller shot this very short video of the working one. The story is that the two were once used by the BBC and somehow ended up in Aarhus, Denmark some 30 years ago. The seller bought them and renovated them himself fitting new valve sockets and adding a switch that would let the valves be kept warm without sucking up power when idle for a long period.

I will go down to have a look and snap some photos of them. I would like them to be as original as possible with regard to circuit, transformers etc., but if implemented correctly, I won't mind the added switch for lowering power consumption when idle.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Those BTH amps were very well made and used good quality transformers. I would expect them to work well with your Quad 57s.
    Barry

I'm Peter.

I hope so. I have now fixed the Link.

I'm Peter.

The BTH A1A amp was too untidy to warrant a closer encounter. Instead I have bought a safer bet: an EAR 869 that I hope will be a good match with the Quad ESL 57s (upgraded with One Thing Audio bass panels).

I have asked the sellers of both the ESL57s and the EAR 869 not to ship the boxes until after the Christmas hustle bustle. I feel that is safer. This means that I will receive them during the first week of January. In the meantime, I will rearrnge my room to accomodate the Quad ESL 57s. That should be fun!

I'm Peter.

I have now placed the Quad ESL 57s on top of book shelves. I have to figure out how to tilt them forward and angle them without endagering the ESL 57s and me. This will have to wait for now. I will still hook them up soon to have a listen - I can do with some background music while doing the rest.

I have changed my room around completely and I have had to sift through books, papers, poems, cables, cds and what not to clear some space in order for me to enjoy my new set-up with the ESL 57s. For now I have a set of EAR 509s and an EAR 869 in the house. The 509s will soon be on their way to EAR for some TLC prior to coming to a new home in the UK. This only if the transformers and the chokes are alright. So I am crossing my fingers.

I just received the EAR 869 last Wednesday and the ESL 57s Thursday so i could only hook them up in the loivingroom with my old Sony DVD-Recorder as a source. However, I liked what I heard. But I can't wait for a chance to compare the 509s and the 869.

Photos:

I'm gone.

Photos not showing for me.

I'm Peter.

Thanks Jerry. And sorry. I will try to fix tomorrow.
    Last edited by Rosewind; 15-01-2018 at 08:36.

I'm Peter.

They show on my iPad and Windows computer but NOT on my Android phone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast