+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turntable advice

I'm CRAIG.

Default Turntable advice

I'm in the market for a turntable with a budget of around £500. Most web searches on the subject point me down the Rega Planar 2 or 3 road but I'm open to any suggestions and/or advice. Many thanks in advance!

I'm Dave.

If you want new, then you won't find better than the Rega Planar-3. IMO.

I'm tony.

Im pretty new to vinyl-bought a rp1 then the upgrade pack.

Just bought brand new vinyl to play my favourite albums on special occasions.

I took it across to Brians place just to see how it compared to his pimped lenco.

I was terribly dissapointed...the lenco was as good as his digital set up-maybe better in some respects.

The rega resides in the cellar....i will ensure it finds a good home!!!

A lenco gl75 now resides in my main system!!!!

For plug and play rega is spot on.

Hi fi Dave knows his stuff the rega kit is great hi fi and great value.

All my years on AOS ive never seen Dave try to make a sale....just help folk enjoy their music more.

Just my experience.....

Hope your journey runs smooth......

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If you want new, then you won't find better than the Rega Planar-3. IMO.
    I think you meant better value Dave, personally I don't rate Rega much, kind of ok is all.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by 9091craig View Post
    I'm in the market for a turntable with a budget of around £500. Most web searches on the subject point me down the Rega Planar 2 or 3 road but I'm open to any suggestions and/or advice. Many thanks in advance!
    I would go used direct drive or idler drive and probably expect to upgrade along the way, A lenco with a better arm and a nice Shure cart should get you something way beyond a Rega. Or a jap direct drive.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Dave.

Everyone has an opinion. I base mine on selling more brands of turntables over 40+ years than I care to recall and working on numerous others.

Rega are great value, great performance, reliable and great backup. I don't know of better around the OPs £500 budget.

Everyone has an opinion. I base mine on selling more brands of turntables over 40+ years than I care to recall and working on numerous others.

Rega are great value, great performance, reliable and great backup. I don't know of better around the OPs £500 budget.
    +1 with the caveat that I think the Rega MM cartridges let the side down a bit.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    I would go used .. idler drive and probably expect to upgrade along the way, A lenco with a better arm .....
    Personally I think the standard arm on the Lenco GL75 gets a bad press.

Providing the V blocks are replaced (any originals will be knackered by now) the GL75 will give a superb performance with a medium compliance cartridge.
    I run mine with a ZYX R-100 and the sound is stunning if you have quality amplification.

Bigman80 Guest

If you're set on a belt drive, these can be found for around £500 used.

http://www.inspirehifi.co.uk/quest.html

I had one. It was amazing and I totally underappreciated it when I had it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mel.

I totally agree with you Dave.

I bought one new last year when I also had a Linn, 401, 1210 and Michell.

The Rega has stayed and the Linn and 401 have gone to pastures new - its just a good simple deck when used with a Rega cart.

Too many others need 'enhancing' to reach equivalent sound.

As said we all have out own views on kit.

Mel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast