+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Wizard MM valve PCB build

Bigman80 Guest

Default Valve Wizard MM valve PCB build

Hi all,

I recently decided that being mentally deficient in regard to electronics was really starting to get on my Tits.

I bought a phonostage which had many documented mods and set about changing a few bits but it really didn't "educate" me, rather just refined my ability to solder (and desolder)

After some research it seemed the logical choice was to build something easy. I bought a DC filtering PCB and built that. Very good, all works and I now know what a diode is. Again I felt I needed more.

I decided a MM phonostage would probably be beneficial In a number of ways. So a long search of the internet brought me to

theValveWizard.co.uk.

I bought a MM PCB and got a very easy to follow component flow chart and an instruction PDF. An abunce of emails between Alan and myself followed and eventually I started to order some parts.

I won't bore with the details but it's going to have two PCC88 valves and a single ECC83. All the square capacitors are Polypropylene and all but two resistors are metal film. Ceramic valve holders and I used silver solder because I had it left over.

I now have a suitable donor case (Thanks Phonomac!) case to put the board and power supply in and a very nice transformer for which I still have to pay Alan 🤣

Here's the pics of the board in its current state

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Can I nitpick already?

Looks like C11 is a 5% tolerance whereas the blue capacitors fitted in C1 position are the 1% caps I gave you for C11 position I think.

It's a good looking pcb.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Can I nitpick already?

Looks like C11 is a 5% tolerance whereas the blue capacitors fitted in C1 position are the 1% caps I gave you for C11 position I think.

It's a good looking pcb.

You can!

Doh! A Mistake already.

I'm Geoff.

Good to see you having a go Oliver.

A diode was the first component I learned about, along with a variable capacitor and coil when I built a crystral set radio at about the age of eight. Dad was an electronics 'wiz', so I started early.

Have you looked at a diode rectifier? It still tickles me that it's such an elegant and simple idea.

You'll have to figure out a triode now!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Good to see you having a go Oliver.

A diode was the first component I learned about, along with a variable capacitor and coil when I built a crystral set radio at about the age of eight. Dad was an electronics 'wiz', so I started early.

Have you looked at a diode rectifier? It still tickles me that it's such an elegant and simple idea.

You'll have to figure out a triode now!
    Cheers Geoff, my old man was a plumber and worked on the railway. I learned electrical installation and now work on the Railway lol. I can rewire your house, fit you a bathroom or manage the customer information of a fleet of 104 rolling stock (train sets) during disruption, but soldering a Valve holder onto a PCB was another matter lol.

Onwards to knowledge!

I'm Paul.

Really curious to see how this turns out.
    ~Paul~

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Cheers Geoff, my old man was a plumber
    Ah. So you understand a tap then, A triode is the electrical equivalent, the grid doing the job of a tap washer!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ah. So you understand a tap then, A triode is the electrical equivalent, the grid doing the job of a tap washer!
    Indeed. It was a breakthrough when I understood Ohms Law. Alan tried to explain it but it didn't sink in, a YouTube video however cemented in my brain. Gotta love YouTube!

I'm Geoff.

Building speakers can be fun too. I've made loads. The options are limitless.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Looks good Oli, soldering looks tidy.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast