+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Radford STA 12 Rebuild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Alan.

A day off from Christmas prep today, so spent a little time populating the Radford boards. And re-doing the valve holder rails.

I've also made a small bracket to mount the 35mm reservoir cap correctly, so I'll do a picture of that next time.

''What are the central spigots for on the small valve holders?'' They are needed as common ground locations for several components (and maybe add a little shielding) round the EF86.

''Alan, you didn't work for Marconi in a former life did you?'' No, though I did visit the Chelmsford site a few times. I worked for Burroughs Machines in the late 60's then for Xerox from 73 to 2001.
    I just like to get everything 'tidy'. (OCD?)

Will says he may be able to provide a couple of later output transformers, so fingers crossed.

I'm Alan.

Well it has been a little while since I made any progress with the old STA12, but a couple of weeks or so ago Will sent me a brand new pair of output transformers for my amplifier. So many thanks to Will, and time to re-start the rebuild...

The new transformers are slightly larger and heavier than the originals fitted, but fit the original footprint with just a little elongation of their mounting holes.

Now a design / engineering problem of the original STA12 needed to be corrected. Difficult to see from pictures, but everything on the STA12 is thinner and lighter than the STA15.
    Especially the chassis plate, where the transformers and choke fit, which is tinned mild steel and only has the folded edges to add any strength. This is how mine looked when it arrived... In fact all of the pictures I have found of STA12s exhibit a sagging top plate.

I added a couple of aluminium angle braces directly under the edges of the plate like this.

Now with the transformers mounted, time to add a bit of wiring back in. The chassis ground / earth post, centre/bottom, is a bit busy with 13 connections!

And on top.

And a few more pics here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rPJOEbrehSVqL1l12

I'm Geoff.

Going well there Alan. The bracing angles were a good idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Beautiful work done there Alan. Well done!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Bravo... Top Job
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

Great job, glad to be of assistance with the OPTs and happy it all worked out
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Alan.

Superb job Alan, that must have taken a good few hours (weeks?).

Another thumbs up for Will Great to have such committed engineers on AoS.

I'm Mel.

Another well documented rebuild Alan.

Your care and attention to detail is amazing - most would be rushing to get the job done rather than doing it properly.

I'm still enjoying the World Designs KEL 84 you rebuilt and documented in the same manner as this.

Mel

I'm John.

Great to see another of these superb amplifiers resurrected and good for years to come. The Radfords really do seem to be an amp for life as they are so serviceable especially with Radford Revival on hand. Really good stuff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123