Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A warning if you buy a Ortofon mm cartridge

I'm gerald.

Cheers Geoff someone has pmd me so fingers crossed he can help me out .I am not going to buy a new one out of principle to buy another Otrofon after such crap aftersales service

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by diviy View Post
    I am not going to buy a new one out of principle to buy another Otrofon after such crap aftersales service
    To be honest Gerald. I don't think you'd get a new body out of most cartridge manufacturers. But you never know!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm George.

I did not destroy a cartridge body it just stopped working on one cannel ,I have not touched the screws of the body since I fitted it three years ago .All i did was fit the blue stylus about eight weeks ok untill last thursday when I only had one channel so I went through the full system to see if there was a lead fault or loose connection I then plugged in another turntable and both channels works put that head shel and cartridge on my deck both channels worked put my headshell on borrowed deck works on one channel also checked all headshell leads as well
    Have I asked for a free body NO I asked how much it would cost me for a new body .
    So imagine you buy a 2m black and accidently damaged a pin when fitting the leads that means you down around £475 quid as you cant buy a new body
    Any thing else you would like me to explain ?
    A simple question: did Henley Audio who is Ortofon distributor for Britain refuse your request for repair? If the answer is Yes, I think you should provide more detailed information on it, because "they were not helpful" says nothing to me. If the answer is No, there is no reason to issue a WARNING.

I'm gerald.

Karich I asked them if they could supply a new body they said no then I asked if they could repair it they said no they only repair mc cartridges they stated the only way I could have a new body is to buy a new cartridge !

I'm George.

...then I asked if they could repair it they said no they only repair mc cartridges...!
    OK, if it is true that Henley Designs refuses to repair a cartridge with a faulty generator that costs around £475 then in my eyes this is a serious matter. If I were you in this situation I would call Goldring in UK -they have a repair service but not sure if Goldring will be prepared to repair an Ortofon. Then there is Dominic Harper from NWA. These are two serious addresses IMO but other forum members may provide some more..?

I'm Andrew.

I have seen some photos of Ortofon 2M series where the cartridge tags have actually come away from the body. I believe there is a genuine issue here.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

I'm gerald.

forcel I am glad you can se my point of view I am in the lucky position that I could not afford the 2m black I brought this subject up for people who have the bronze and black that if they ever get in the same situation as me they will loose a lot of money.how can they say
    ( Moving magnets can be served by replacing the stylus)
    at the end of the day the body is the heart of the cartridge
    They say you can service it by changing the stylus but its like saying here is the oil filter for your engine to service it but have no engine
    you will have to bear with me as I suffer with really bad dyslexia and have trouble expressing things in writing
    here is part of the email from them in europe

Sorry to hear about the trouble.
    That is correct what our partner and distributor Henley Audio says: we offer 2M cartridges with preinstalled stylus only. Moving magnets can be served by replacing the stylus and we offer a wide range of replacement styli program. 2M series styli are interchangeable within the below combinations:
    - 2M Red, 2M Blue and 2M Silver
    - 2M Bronze and 2M Black
    - 2M Mono and 2M 78

Cartridges bodies have a longer lifetime than stylus. That is our long-life experience that our customers prefer total solutions as cartridge with pre-installed stylus

I'm George.

Quote Originally Posted by allthingsanalogue View Post
    I have seen some photos of Ortofon 2M series where the cartridge tags have actually come away from the body. I believe there is a genuine issue here.
    It is possible that the generator as such is OK and properly working but there is an "open circuit" somewhere inside the body between the cartridge tags (of the one channel that is OFF) and the generator. The problem can be very simple, anyway a professional have to check it first...

I'm James.

Ok I understand your issue and sympathise but I must say I had superb service from Ortofon via a uk main dealer. I had a new 2M black stylus that sounded a bit off and it was sent away to Ortofon who examined it and it did not meet there exact specification so they sent me a brand new one FOC which has sounded fantastic. Can't really fault Ortofon there for customer service.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Shaun.

I used to use an Ortofon OM4 SE cartridge and on changing it for a different one years back, one of the rear pins pulled clean out of the body. I think it is still in the 'junk' box somewhere where it obviously belongs.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast