+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hashimoto HM-3 v Phonomac Denon HA-500 + More!!!

Bigman80 Guest

It's Ok! I'm happy with the Jolida, it performs excellently, the only real choice I have to make is whether I want to add more boxes into the mix. I probably do to be honest lol. It was a significant step up in performance. I also have the MM valve stage that's nearly finished which will need a step up HA or SUT. It would suit multiple purposes to get a HA or SUT.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

I use a headamp and SUT occasionally and your experiences Oli are similar to my own. I have a friend who has tried many many SUTs as they are all quite different and every cartridge gets on better with a particular SUT combination. If you find the magic combination of complimentary SUT and cartridge you will be in vinyl heaven as they do have a natural liquid sound with great timbre but you will always be a few seats back in the audience.

Headamps bring you a few seats forward in the presentation and well designed ones can sound stunning, I Testify to hearing Marco's which is superb but not cheap. I have heard a number of headamps including the Denon you have and they can immediately impress especially with the right cartridge but on longer listening can be tiring compared to a great SUT / cartridge.

The main issue I have found and speaking to others who have huge experience in this area is that headamps and SUTs running through a MM phono stage are better than just a MC phono stage but getting the right combination of cartridge and SUT/Headamp can be tricky.

May I suggest you try and get to hear Marco's Croft / Headamp and Denon DLS1. This is the best implementation of a MC cartridge and amplification I have heard to date and ticks all the boxes for me.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Jim,

Yes, that's my worry. That over an extended period the HA-500 MAY become fatiguing due to it being so clean sounding.

I'd love to hear Marcos combination but in the context of his system it would be unlikely I'll replicate it. There was a definite cohesion with the Vienna and HM-3 yesterday. So much so that I have considered looking for one.

I think I'm going to hang fire a bit and see where mind is at in a couple of weeks.

I've literally only just strapped the Goldring Eroica to the TT and while the ART-7 & Vienna showed it a clean pair of heels, I'm still very much getting used to it and enjoying it.

I have a little hankering to try a shelter cartridge. Is there any point getting a SUT/HA Before a long term cartridge?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Hi Jim,

Yes, that's my worry. That over an extended period the HA-500 MAY become fatiguing due to it being so clean sounding.

I'd love to hear Marcos combination but in the context of his system it would be unlikely I'll replicate it. There was a definite cohesion with the Vienna and HM-3 yesterday. So much so that I have considered looking for one.

I think I'm going to hang fire a bit and see where mind is at in a couple of weeks.

I've literally only just strapped the Goldring Eroica to the TT and while the ART-7 & Vienna showed it a clean pair of heels, I'm still very much getting used to it and enjoying it.

I have a little hankering to try a shelter cartridge. Is there any point getting a SUT/HA Before a long term cartridge?

I think i would research which SUT/HA folk have had the best synergy with any given cartridge. Shelter cartridges are thought of very highly by those who have them so maybe worth a try. The Goldring Eroica is certainly a classic but never heard one myself so will be interested in how it goes with you Oli?

I heard Marco,s Croft / head amp / DL S1 in another system - not his own! In fact I heard it I think with Nick Gorhams phono and the paradise phono stage at a NEBo some years ago if I remember correctly. Honestly this is the only time I have ever really enjoyed a MC cartridge with truly WOW factor. Simply stunning. Speakers were Ruark crusadar 3. Marco correct me if I am wrong?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Angus had been teasing me with the news of a new purchase for the last few weeks while i had been waiting for his visit to my house.... no news other than a "new cartridge that makes me happy to sell the Ortofon Vienna" After previously hearing how stunning the Vienna was, i was left intrigued!

FFW to today and a very beautiful AT ART7 was installed onto the SP10 and PMAT1010 tonearm.
    I'm hoping to hear the ART7 on Friday with the PMAT1010 tonearm.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    I'm hoping to hear the ART7 on Friday with the PMAT1010 tonearm.
    You are going to be very pleasantly surprised I think. I do have an update on the AT1010 V PMAT1010 Comparison I wanted to do but that will have to be written later

It's certainly not a close run race.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123