+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hashimoto HM-3 v Phonomac Denon HA-500 + More!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Default Hashimoto HM-3 v Phonomac Denon HA-500 + More!!!

First up, big thanks to Angus for making the trip to my abode and bringing his equipment for this battle of epic proportions!!!

Firstly, we fitted a rather lovely cartridge. An Ortofon Vienna. We had a listen to the Jolida as is sat and tuned our ears to the presentation. Then, we installed the Denon HA-500. I should mention that this is a recapped, re- everything, upgraded Transformers etc HA-500, and should be noted as not being standard. This is valued as a £300 unit.

Instantly, it was very apparent that the Denon was having an effect on the sound. It created a cleaner sound. almost like it was cleaning the signal prior to it getting to the speakers. There was a wonderfully crisp, sharp and overall transparent quality. The soundstage was no bigger than previously, that i could tell, but there seemed to be a bit more depth. The bass tightened and the highs were sparkling. the midrange had more detail and better timbre. I really liked what it did or didnt do i should say, which is impose a tonal change on the replay.

There was some mains noise being picked up and a tiny increment of hum but that dissipated when i moved the HA away from the phono stage. I also heard a modicum of hiss at the start of the record which i assume was coming from the HA.

Next the Hashimoto HM-3 SUT (£500+)

Well, as i suspected & expected, the HM-3 were very very good. No background hiss at all. They really excelled in the midrange but i felt the bass wasn't as tight as when the Denon was in. Later, replay showed the bass to be better controlled than when the TT was directly connected to the Jolida. The best way to describe the effect of the HM-3 is "fluidity" there is a very nice liquid like presentation from the SUT and its very easy to find yourself immersed into the track. This was a highlight which was't quite as apparent with the Denon HA. Tonally, there wasn't the scale the Denon HA provided or the clarity. Everything sounded a little softer but i can see how that will appeal to some listeners. Overall, the sound was very involving and an altogether more "easy" listen.

The SUT exhibited lots of hum and was very susceptible to positioning and earthing, unfortunatley, we were unable to rid the unit of the hum (due to cable length) . I have heard this unit free of hum.

Conclusion:

It all omes down to personal taste. There IS something very likeable with the HM-3 sound, Its "romantic" but if, like me, you listen to Metalica and various other bands which demand pace and precision, it may not work in your favour. We played a Kenny Ball LP through the HM-3 and it was smooth, rich and very very easy to listen to. We played the same LP through the Denon HA-5oo and i nearly lost an ear!!!!

So ....... buy with your musical preferences in mind. There was no outright winner here. other than that, the use of a SUT or HA did massivley improve the phono stage when using a SUT or HA rather than Direct MC input.

It is now my opinion that using a SUT or HA into a MM phonostage IS the best method. It certainly was in my system today.

Audio Technica AT-ART7 mc Cartridge,

Angus had been teasing me with the news of a new purchase for the last few weeks while i had been waiting for his visit to my house.... no news other than a "new cartridge that makes me happy to sell the Ortofon Vienna" After previously hearing how stunning the Vienna was, i was left intrigued!

FFW to today and a very beautiful AT ART7 was installed onto the SP10 and PMAT1010 tonearm.

A few seconds into the test track of the day, "Dire straits – Private investigations", i knew this little cart was very special indeed. The best way to describe it is to forget everything AT is synonymous with. Neutral, toppy, polite, blah, blah, blah

This cartridge is ballsy, dynamic, punchy and downright addictive!!! It delivered the drumstrike with such exhuberance that the very fine hairs on my bald head moved. I am serious!!! It was breathtakingly dynamic. Detail wasnt quite at the level the Ortofon reached and the soundstage was slightly smaller but goddam, this cartridge came very very close. It was also slightly, very slightly, maybe 0.1mm on the warm side of neutral but it was all the better for it!!!! the nylon guitar sounded snappy and full of that twang and snappy tone i look for and it just kept the pace and timing perfectly. It never got muddled or messy either. Well devoloped bass lines were easy to follow and the top end was well extended. A really well balanced performance.

I really liked this cartridge and at £999 for a brand new one (The Ortofon Vienna was £2000+) it is a serious contender. Try one if you can. It was almost Wicked in its delivery. Awesome!

It was a very busy day with all the component swapping but thoroughly enjoyable. Pictures to follow.

I'm Andrew.

I didn't realise that you were into metal. A man after my own heart.I think if your into pace and precision you need might need something like the Cadenza black, and maybe try some active speakers. It looks like your exploring all areas of your system which is both exciting and bloody costly. I'd also recommend having a listen to a paradise phonostage if you can find one. This makes for a very very fast, clinical, and precise system.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I didn't realise that you were into metal. A man after my own heart.I think if your into pace and precision you need might need something like the Cadenza black, and maybe try some active speakers. It looks like your exploring all areas of your system which is both exciting and bloody costly. I'd also recommend having a listen to a paradise phonostage if you can find one. This makes for a very very fast, clinical, and precise system.
    Hi Andrew,

I'm In to all sorts!!! I do love metal though. My copy of SOAD - Toxicity, is a treasure.

The paradise is out of reach currently and I can't see that changing anytime soon! I think SJS has one he'll sell but not in my budget

I currently have a very good sound and this is more curiosity than anything else but I may be buying a HA-500 very soon. I really liked that massive bandwidth and punchy sound.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The HA 1000 is a fair bit better IMO, I’ve had both, still have the 1000.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The HA 1000 is a fair bit better IMO, I’ve had both, still have the 1000.
    Are you using it?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Using a Tribute SUT at the moment. I swapped out most of the components in it as there were some leakng caps in it. Thread on here somewhere.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Using a Tribute SUT at the moment. I swapped out most of the components in it as there were some leakng caps in it. Thread on here somewhere.
    I have read it. You were very thorough.

Whats the main difference between the two other than the obvious relocation of the PSU

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Different circuit and better shielding etc as I recall. I thought the new components made a real improvement. Not surprising given the age and leaking caps I guess.

Hunter S Thompson

Bigman80 Guest

Different circuit and better shielding etc as I recall. I thought the new components made a real improvement. Not surprising given the age and leaking caps I guess.
    Food for thought. Few on eBay at a reasonable price.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes worth a punt I’d say.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast