+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mains conditioners, are they worth it?

I'm James.

Lightbulb Mains conditioners, are they worth it?

I'm all for blowing my money on hifi but I'm curious about how big a difference main conditioner make to your system, I use a cheap one myself and noticed a nice improvement in sound quality but are the more expensive ones worth it?
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm Phil.

mmmm is it worth buying a jag? , some would say yes , others will say a fiesta does just as good a job transporting you from a-b

i have had 3 isotek syncro`s and they make a substantial difference and improvement , and i am 10 years into my 25 year guarantee on my excellent isotek sigmas
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm paul.

I've heard some that made no difference and one that cleaned up the bass noticeably, not in my set up I would add. Whether they are worth it is a personal thing. My set up sounds so good I don't think I could take any more improvements
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by James the Albarry lover View Post
    I'm all for blowing my money on hifi but I'm curious about how big a difference main conditioner make to your system, I use a cheap one myself and noticed a nice improvement in sound quality but are the more expensive ones worth it?
    If your mains is good then it's money wasted, if it's all over the place then maybe it will make a big difference. I have a regenerator and good mains so I use it for regulating my valve testers, cant be bothered on the hifi as it seems just another lump!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm tony.

There was a thread on here a few years back regards mains re generators v balanced mains.

The Scottish boys(aka mafia) quite often get together and try different things.

Most of us bought airlink ballanced mains transformers......ugly bastards-but great vfm and clean up your mains as mentioned if they are a bit shitty.

Any members near you that could lend a wee hand?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazid View Post
    If your mains is good then it's money wasted, if it's all over the place then maybe it will make a big difference. I have a regenerator and good mains so I use it for regulating my valve testers, cant be bothered on the hifi as it seems just another lump!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    ^ this is basically true. Have a look around your immediate neighbourhood for businesses that use heavy machinery etc, or blocks of flats; that sort of thing. If there are a few then there is a fair chance it will help. Ive a mains regenerator and it helps mine a fair bit.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

There is a few large businesses around my area and I know a few hifi nuts nearby that might have something along those lines cheers
    MY SYSTEM
    SOURCES: Marantz cd63 mk2 ki, Marantz cd6000ose
    AMPLIFICATION: Albarry m408s mono blocs with ap3 pre
    CABLES: Chord company c-line, Monster interlink 400, QED silver speaker cable, Tacima cs947 mains conditioner
    SPEAKERS: Mission 752 freedoms, AKG K550 mk2 headphones

I'm Neil.

I would start by taking your Tacima mains filtering strip out of your system, not the other way around.

There are many other things that will have much more of an impact on your system, but if you do want to try, then I'd say balanced mains of at least 1.5KVA is the way to go. Conditioners tend to 'sit on' the sound and affect dynamics.

Interestingly I plugged in an Amazon Fire TV stick into my Tacima (I use it for my TV & router), which forced it into a slow power-saving mode - it's because it checks for current ability, which the Tacima obviously interfered with - back into a wall socket & the Fire TV worked perfectly again.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I would start by taking your Tacima mains filtering strip out of your system, not the other way around.
    Those Tacima blocks can really suck the life out of your system...
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

PS Audio P300 was my start which led me to upgrade to a PS Audio PPP then the awesome P10.

Now I have the even better Audio Magic Transcendence.
    Plus various cheapo plug ins around the also improve the sound. -Which I thought would be redundant after the AM but no.
    Seems whatever I added made the sound better
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast