+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for an amp to suit my Tannoy Berkeleys?

I'm Mike.

Question Recommendations for an amp to suit my Tannoy Berkeleys?

Hi,

BUDGET £2000 or thereabouts ( Prefer less of course lol )

Looking primarily for a Luxman 550aii, however I would consider a good valve integrated such as a WAD KT88 XL or similar.

Or...... an integrated with a really good built in phono stage and perhaps an onboard DAC too.

Yeah I know those choices are a bit all over the place, but I currently have a couple of valve power amps on loan and I'm liking what I hear, would just prefer to lower box count hence the integrated want.

The Perreaux 150i that killie99 is selling looks interesting too, so something like that could be a possibility.

Sorry for the mix of wants, but until I'm offered anything I won't know what to go for

Thanks,

Mike.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Mike, thereís a Krell KSA 100 Series 2 for sale on PFM, could be good with the Tannoys?
    There are times when you canít do the sensible thing, when you canít act like a responsible adult at all; you just have to do whatever insane thing comes into your head. When bad people do it they end up murderers, when good people do it they end up heroes, and when the rest of us do it we end up looking like total idiots. But whenís that ever stopped us?

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Mike, there’s a Krell KSA 100 Series 2 for sale on PFM, could be good with the Tannoys?
    Wouldn't recommend it. KSA50 my MGs sound flat and boring. Sucked all the life out of them.

I would recommend this though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-...19.m1438.l2649
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N + Shure M3D Jico stylus; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound bamboo cantilever, Spirit '78' 3.0 conical from Ana, also vintage GE VRII, Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Duncan 'Tuberhunter' 200w class D; preamp - Pass DCB1; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage SPU-GE; SUTs - Ortofon 2-15k & Bob's Devices; Phono Stage: Schiit Mani; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

There are times when you canít do the sensible thing, when you canít act like a responsible adult at all; you just have to do whatever insane thing comes into your head. When bad people do it they end up murderers, when good people do it they end up heroes, and when the rest of us do it we end up looking like total idiots. But whenís that ever stopped us?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Wouldn't recommend it. KSA50 my MGs sound flat and boring. Sucked all the life out of them.

I would recommend this though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Woodside-...19.m1438.l2649
    Yes read that before, but the 100 is a different beast is it not?

Woodside looks a good shout.

I'm Geoff.

Creek Destiny 2. Bags of power and flawless sound. Very classy!
    Mr. Tact!

"when common sense, logic and plausibility are ruled out. All that remain are lies and foolishness"

Gear: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/one scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/two hefty Japanese DD TT's/hefty Japanese BD TT/smaller Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. One CD transport/3 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. One MD deck. One tuner. Two TVC pre-amps/two valve pre-amps/solid state pre-amp/passive pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Hmm. Single ended. Probably not.
    Main: Speakers 'RFC' Tannoy Canterburys / custom crossovers; Amp - Radford STA100; Pre EAR 912; Vinyl: Thorens TD124 MkII + Ikeda IT345-CR1 / Ortofon 309 Limited tonearms; Cartridges Stereo - Miyajima Madake, Ortofon SPU Royal N + Shure M3D Jico stylus; Mono - Miyajimas - Zero 0.7, Premium 1.0 retipped by Ana Mighty Sound bamboo cantilever, Spirit '78' 3.0 conical from Ana, also vintage GE VRII, Shure M44 strapped for mono with several Expert Stylus conicals for different eras of 78s; Phono stage and SUT from EAR 912; Esoteric Sound Re-Equalizer for equalisation of early mono and 78, switchable in from tape loop; Digital: Audio Note CDT2/II transport, heavily modded AN Kit DAC + Mutec MC3+USB.

Study: Speakers - Tannoy DC6; Amp: Duncan 'Tuberhunter' 200w class D; preamp - Pass DCB1; Vinyl: Garrard 401 with AT1503 tonearm and vintage SPU-GE; SUTs - Ortofon 2-15k & Bob's Devices; Phono Stage: Schiit Mani; Digital - Trichord Genesis III CDP + Arcam rBlink; Schiit Multibit DAC.

I'm Jake.

How about one of these bad boys? If darth Vader designed an integrated ...

http://www.annunci.net/isernia/audio...lifier-2109503
    Technics SL-10/various carts - Tube Technology MAC - Modded Sonos/Jolida Glass FX3 - Nelson Pass B1 or Eastern Electric minimax - Jsoundlabs 300b - Ian's Frugal horn XL

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmortlock View Post
    How about one of these bad boys? If darth Vader designed an integrated ...

http://www.annunci.net/isernia/audio...lifier-2109503
    Nice. I always fancied checking out a Graaf and that's a decent price.

The original Darth Vader amp was this one though (I had one it wasn't half bad, though it did get VERY hot):

Though it spawned an army of clones:

I'm Oliver.

That amp in the link looks the bollocks. No idea what it is but it just wowed in the looks department

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast