+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for an amp to suit my Tannoy Berkeleys?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Valve amp design doesn't get much better, Oliver. And Will (like Nick) is a smashing chap to deal with.

Marco.
    I wasn't looking at new amps, Marco!!!. You've now created intrigue !!!

Naughty. Lol

Get one Mikey and let me know how good it is

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mike.

Bastards the lot o ye

I have to say though it's exactly what I was hoping for as far ideas go anyway. I don't mind the variety of info as it keeps me from being bored and I'm learning as I go

Right now I'm listening to a Spotify Blues playlist via my SoTm SMS 200 streamer, Caiman SEG DAC, Promitheus pre amp into the WAD EL84 amp and it's all sounding pretty good, better than my vinyl side too but that's another issue I've yet to conquer.

I don't mind if I have to go back to square 1, as long as I get to square 100 I'll be happy. I think if I'd kept some of the gear I've sold I'd be closer mind you, but hey ho that's life lol.

The only bits of gear that ain't going anywhere are my Tannoys, the 1210 Turntable and Fidelity Research Arm and Paul Hynes PSU, the SoTm streamer, everything else is a potential casualty in the hunt for MY audio heaven.

So my list of needs/wants are really....

Amplifier ( Pre/Power, Integrated, Valve or SS - whichever sounds best )

Cartridge

DAC ( unless I can't improve on the SEG )

Having just come off the phone with a fellow Scottish Mafia member whilst I was typing this reply, plans are in the making, so at the moment no firm decisions regarding any purchases will be made until those plans either come to fruition or fail

Mods feel free to move this into a discussion section rather than a 'wanted' thread on the classifieds

Thanks,

Mike.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Too many choices, Mikey... You're going to just end up being confused!

My advice would be to listen to folk who've owned Tannoys for years, and have used them with a number of different amps, such as Tom. Every amp he's recommended on here so far has been spot on - and that's because he knows what he's talking about.

And yes, Tannoy DCs will work best with a P/P valve amp. If you want Nick to build you one, then I'm sure that the SET master won't turn to stone, by going over to 'the dark side' just this once!

In this instance though, I'd be just as inclined to recommend Will: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...r-Amp-for-Paul

My advice, however, would be to have something bespoke built for you, from any of the EEs mentioned, and not waste your money on a commercial design, as you simply won't end up with anything near as good that way.

Let one of our registered EEs spend your money wisely on where it matters MOST: the internals, and trust me, you'll be a very happy bunny!!

Marco.
    Yes have to agree with this. Nick does build PP amps too. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Mods feel free to move this into a discussion section rather than a 'wanted' thread on the classifieds
    Good idea! Now done (edited title slightly to reflect the change), and good luck on your quest

Btw, the bits you're keeping for defo are all wise moves.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm DAVE.

Bastards the lot o ye

I have to say though it's exactly what I was hoping for as far ideas go anyway. I don't mind the variety of info as it keeps me from being bored and I'm learning as I go

Right now I'm listening to a Spotify Blues playlist via my SoTm SMS 200 streamer, Caiman SEG DAC, Promitheus pre amp into the WAD EL84 amp and it's all sounding pretty good, better than my vinyl side too but that's another issue I've yet to conquer.

I don't mind if I have to go back to square 1, as long as I get to square 100 I'll be happy. I think if I'd kept some of the gear I've sold I'd be closer mind you, but hey ho that's life lol.

The only bits of gear that ain't going anywhere are my Tannoys, the 1210 Turntable and Fidelity Research Arm and Paul Hynes PSU, the SoTm streamer, everything else is a potential casualty in the hunt for MY audio heaven.

So my list of needs/wants are really....

Amplifier ( Pre/Power, Integrated, Valve or SS - whichever sounds best )

Cartridge

DAC ( unless I can't improve on the SEG )

Having just come off the phone with a fellow Scottish Mafia member whilst I was typing this reply, plans are in the making, so at the moment no firm decisions regarding any purchases will be made until those plans either come to fruition or fail

Thanks,

Mike.
    Hi Mike,
    As you have listed your needs/wants as well as the Quad Integrated which I pm'd you about, I also have a ZYX R100 cartridge surplus to requirements.

Cheers.....Dave

P.S. Mods, I hope I've broken no rules here, as the thread is no longer in the classifieds but I'm just responding to Mike's response.

I'm Mike.

Good idea! Now done (edited title slightly to reflect the change), and good luck on your quest

Btw, the bits you're keeping for defo are all wise moves.

Marco.
    Thanks for the move

Plenty to think about for sure, I think I've gotten a better idea of where to go for one of the needs. But I'll check a few more things before proceeding.

I'm tony.

After our wee chat....how did ye get on!!!!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    After our wee chat....how did ye get on!!!!
    I'm nearly bald

I'm tony.

How did you get on with the temple mono blocks?

I'm George.

Wow, thanks for all the recommendations, I've actually been offered an Ear Yoshino 8L6 integrated, and I do know that Tom said this would be a great match.

Seriously tempted just to go for it even though I've never heard one.

I'd still be keen to try the Luxman and I'd be lying if it wasn't just for the sound

The valve amps mentioned look the business too, in fact I'm listening to Grants old WAD EL84 Power Amp with his Promitheus Pre Amp right now as I type and that sounds pretty good, I ended up browsing the World Audio Designs website last night looking at the KT88 XL integrated amp which looks very good on the reviews I found.

Arghhh decisions decisions
    Go straight to a s/h EAR 861 and you are done mate... a better choice with Tannoys than 8L6. IMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast