+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Leak Stereo 20 EL84 power amp

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: Leak Stereo 20 EL84 power amp

Needs no introduction. Iconic 60s power amp using the delightful and grunty EL84 tube. Oversized mains and output transformers give the game away as to why it’s never really been bettered as an EL84 amp. 4 x Harma (Mullard ‘copy’) power valves, 1 x Mazda ECC83 splinter and 2 x Sovtec 12AX7 input valves, NOS Brymar 5Z4 rectifier (I’ll include a new production JJ GZ34 as well).

A few marks on the casework as you’d expect after 50 years or thereabouts. I don’t know the detailed service history but was informed it was recently serviced and it shows signs of this (see underneath) certainly appears as if the usual problematic electrolytics and resistors have been replaced, the input sockets and speaker sockets/binding posts have also been replaced with modern ones. The original circuit has not been modified in any way as may of these have been by now.

I’ve been using this to superb effect into 88db sensitivity Tannoy DC6es and it also drove the 12in HPDs surprisingly well. I’ve been using a Pass B1 buffer with it, it’s highly suitable for use with a passive pre as it’s pretty sensitive. (If you want it I can include a cheapo early Tilsbury two input / one output passive with it though you would probably want something better).

Comes with power cable with the correct 3-pin Bulging connector.

£600 collected from Bracknell area for this though I’m also happy to meet up. I’m not really fixed to courier it at this point.

Not really looking for any swap unless you have a sub to part-ex.

I'm Simon.

Fabulous amp I'll never sell mine to much family history attached.

Looks like it has been sympathetically restored where required and a neat job of hiding new smoothing capacitors under the chassis.

Good luck with the sale.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

montesquieu Guest

Just thinking out loud but would potentially swap for an interesting preamp with phono stage.

montesquieu Guest

Surprised this is still here - day 2 bump.

I'm Adam.

Someone is in for a treat and at very modest price!
    I've personally experienced this actual amp. It has real drive, control, depth and beauty.
    This really is a stonewall Bargain.
    Tom is a top chap to deal with to boot.
    GLWTS
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

This is now sold

+ Reply to Thread