+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound quality comparisons between Spotify and Amazon Music...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lightbulb Sound quality comparisons between Spotify and Amazon Music...

Interestingly, last week on the 'Spinning Today' classical thread, Jerry asked me to listen to some Magnard (Symphonies 1 and 3), performed by the Malmo Symphony orchestra, in order to gauge my opinion on this version of the composer's music, as opposed to the usual 'all-French' variety (conductor and orchestra), which I did.

Now I rarely listen to Spotify, as I've got 10TB worth of music stored on my hard drives (approx 25,000 albums), not to mention 1000s of CDs and LPs, so I normally just access stuff from my own (vast) library of music, without the need for an 'external juke box', as it were.

Therefore, it was interesting having a listen again to stuff on Spotify, via my home-cinema system, on 2-channel stereo mode (using my Celestion Ditton 15XRs), which I also use when listening to CDs and streaming music through the RPi. Now whilst I enjoyed the music Jerry had asked me to listen to, there was something about the sound I couldn't quite get on with, in comparison with what I'm used to with CD or streaming, through the RPi.

So I decided to do some sonic comparisons between identical albums, played via Spotify, CD, file-based streaming, and lastly via Amazon Music, which is essentially the same as Spotify, in terms of having access to an unlimited 'virtual' library of music. The interesting thing about Amazon Music, however, is that every album you've ever bought from Amazon (on CD or LP) is stored on 'My Music', allowing you to play it directly, as listed on the screen alphabetically, without having to seek out the CD or LP.

That was particularly useful for this exercise because it would allow me to make direct and very quick comparisons between the sound of, say, the CD itself and the streamed version from 'My Music', using whatever player Amazon employ for the task. Plus, I could also compare the latter directly with the same on Spotify, and quickly switch between the two, to make some sonic comparisons.

What I subsequently discovered was rather interesting.... Firstly, there is a very obvious drop in the output playback level between Spotify and CD, with the latter sounding much louder at the same given point on the volume control. Consequently, I had to crank up the volume, when switching to Spotify, to equal the same loudness level on CD, which was a little annoying, but it also had the effect of making music on Spotify sound 'weedy' and lacking in dynamic impact, compared with CD, which sounded bigger and 'ballsier'.

Now of course, the change in sound could also have resulted from a number of other factors too (and probably did), namely the DAC connected to my Sony DVD/CD player, which is a Beresford Bushmaster MKII, as when listening to Spotify (via my Apple laptop), the sound would've been coming through the built-in DAC in my Sony AV amp, via an HDMI cable, although the DAC in the Sony is also very capable.

Switching to Amazon music, and doing the same comparison with CD, firstly the output level is higher than that of Spotify, so I didn't have to crank up the volume as much, in order to match the level available from CD, and to my ears the same album I had been listening to (in this case Yello's The Eye) also sounded better via Amazon music, than Spotify. It was just more punchy and dynamic, as if the music was coming from a higher resolution source.

The only way to find that out would be to compare the bit rate of the players Spotify and Amazon use, when music is accessed by listeners, via their respective websites. However, as good as the sound was via Amazon Music, and for me it was notably better than Spotify, it was still a pale shadow of what I was getting from playing a CD of the same album, via my cheap-as-chips Sony DVD/CD player, and highly capable (although not terribly expensive), Bushmaster MKII DAC.

The same also applied when the same music was streamed via the RPi (and IQ Audio DAC), and which sonically was comparable in quality with the above, perhaps just having the edge, but both sounded significantly better than either Spotify or Amazon music.

Now, to carry out this test [Spotify versus Amazon Music, versus CD, versus streaming of the same music, via the RPi] a little more seriously, I need to do it through my main system, which I can't access at the moment, as the room is slowly being tidied of kitchen paraphernalia, due to recent refurbishments in that area, but when I get the chance to do that, I will report back accordingly.

The point, however, is this: it's patently obvious to me, even through my secondary system, that using Spotify as a music source is a sonically compromised way of listening to one's favourite music, and easily bettered by even a modest DVD-player/DAC and streaming source. Goodness knows how much better my Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 would sound, via CD, playing the same music as on Spotify, or on vinyl, via my modded Technics T/T!

Therefore, Jerry, as someone whom I believe uses Spotify almost exclusively now to play music, have you not noticed this when comparing matters with your own CD source? Or have you noticed the output level difference I've described between Spotify and CD? In my system, it is quite marked.

Also, what do others here think who've tried the same test or who use Spotify, or something similar of that ilk, to play music from? It's quite clear to me that genuine high-resolution, top-notch sound, simply isn't possible using the likes of Spotify as a source. It is just too sonically compromised, and so not something I could use for serious listening in the long term...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fuckoff.

It sounds like you're comparing a lot more than only the format of the music.

I'm Tony.

Currently using all three formats (streaming via Spotify, CD and RPi), I find that the Spotify Premium (320mbps) service is ok for casual or 'discovery' listening but a bit flat and lifeless compared to both CD and RPi streaming.
    If I find something of sufficient and sustained interest on Spotify, I'll tend to purchase either the CD or Lossless format and source from my RPi/NAS setup.

There are rumours of a lossless Spotify 'Hi-Fi' service in the wings apparently? This may present more of a challenge to the CD/Flac options?
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Grant.

currently Testing Deezer hifi streaming and its very good. inv better than Tidal with whom Ive dropped my membership for now. Still have spotify at moment as the deezer is not currently costing me anything. Will see where it goes but i think it will be my main way of listening....
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Therefore, Jerry, as someone whom I believe uses Spotify almost exclusively now to play music, have you not noticed this when comparing matters with your own CD source? Or have you noticed the output level difference I've described between Spotify and CD? In my system, it is quite marked.
    Yes, interesting topic.

I suspect that system dependence of all the various pieces of gear involved strongly influences the results here.

I've done substantial comparisons between CD playback and Spotify Premium in my main system. (Note the last 4 words).
    I actually prefer Spotify Premium most times, although the difference is usually small.
    I wouldn't be prepared to sacrifice sound quality for the convenience of streaming.

Coinicidentally, I signed up for Amazon Music last week on a 99p for 3 months Black Friday deal (the only one I went for!).
    My initial impression on just a few albums was that the sq wasn't up to Spot Premium or CD by quite a margin.

So, my conclusions are pretty much the exact opposite to Marco's.
    Curious as we often hear things in a similar way and often come to similar conclusions.
    I can only suspect that system implementation issues are affecting things here.
    It would be interesting to see if Marco came to the same conclusions on his Big Rig.

By the way (just having my breakfast at the moment), I should point out that the comparisons I've conducted were with Spotify Premium, not the bog standard service.

Also, before I comment further on other matters, the gross disparity between output levels of Spotify and CD (or streaming via the RPi, using Moode) would put me off using the former for long periods of time, regardless of anything else.

On the digital volume readout of my Sony amp, if I'm listening at say, 15, on CD, I have to turn it up to around 23, with Spotify to achieve the same listening level, and I can't see that changing when switching to my main system, as it's simply how both inherently are.

The master sound output level, on Spotify, has clearly been set too low - and that's with the little volume icon turned up to max.

Surely others, including you Jerry, must've have noticed this?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

you deffo got it on 320kb. there is a setting change needed as it defaults to 128 i think. worth checking. also it will sound better if you use the chrome web browser and web player.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Bear in mind that Spotify has audible watermarking, so whilst very good indeed, will not match a ripped CD. TIDAL better, but also has watermarked tracks from companies like Universal. I expect Amazon to be similar in this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

Roger on the last bit, Grant. How can I check the bit rate? I can't seem to see a settings menu...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Tony.

Also for the sake of completeness, I should have stated that I have accessed Spotify Premium via Macbook, IOS and routed it via Spotify Additional Devices, Airplay and Volumio Add-on. RPi DACS used were IQ Audio and ALLO Boss.

Haven't performed any specific testing of volumes levels (via Amplifier, Application and Phone settings) other than to notice a significant drop in the volume when switching from RPi/NAS source to Spotify.

In all of the above, the preference has always been with the RPi/NAS as the source.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast