+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTD - Empty Metal Box/Enclosure

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yeah. I like a good project. You learn a bit more with each one.

(still got this itch to build more speakers myself )
    I'm getting lots help from Alan which is be very stuck without. It's sinking in though. Slowly lol

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'm building a Valve Wizard MM valve phonostage.

It's a learning excercise rather than a reference point in SQ. The board cost £6.50 and I've probably spent about £40 on components so not expecting a world beater of a stage. Its all about the learning.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/phonopcb.html
    way to go oliver
    i recently built a world designs phonostage clone and loving it to bits,the real kick is in the diy and building and tweaking yourself to suit(im still at it),looking at the board you have brought it doesnt seem a million miles from my creation,and if i had of known of its existence i may have gone that route myself,will certainly love to read of your build and findings...looks a good one....just watch those high voltages and charged caps!!!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smithie View Post
    way to go oliver
    i recently built a world designs phonostage clone and loving it to bits,the real kick is in the diy and building and tweaking yourself to suit(im still at it),looking at the board you have brought it doesnt seem a million miles from my creation,and if i had of known of its existence i may have gone that route myself,will certainly love to read of your build and findings...looks a good one....just watch those high voltages and charged caps!!!
    Thanks Smithie, I am not touching the electrical side at the minute and will do so under supervision as I have a knack of electrocuting myself 🤣🤣

It seems a pretty decent board and generally accepted as being quite good in design. Obviously no one will agree on what's best so it's irrelevant. As long as sound comes out when I'm done it will have been a relative success. How it sounds is secondary to the learning.

I'm paul.

lol
    ive had afew sharp short shocks myself so i understand where your coming from there.
    there really is no such thing as the "best" is there,its just what suits our ears,system etc,thats what makes this hobby and passion such fun(along with the killer tunes of course).
    mine when built worked without fault or drama and has been singing its little heart out for months now,even with all my various on going tweaks and mods ive been doing.....im still amazed at that fact alone,its all thrown together and is ugly as sin and i really need to address that at some point,but like you point out...its the learning and understanding you get along the way that is the real buzz and kick ....of course if it sounds good to then thats just the cherry on the cake
    all the best with it

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    ...The board cost £6.50 and I've probably spent about £40 on components so not expecting a world beater of a stage. Its all about the learning...

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/phonopcb.html
    You may be surprised. Some really expensive phono stages are relatively simple circuits just designed really well. Merlin does come across as knowing what he is doing and seems like a good guy. I bought some valve prototyping PCBs from him a while ago.
    ~Paul~

Bigman80 Guest

Merlin is a lovely fella all told. Very helpful and yes, won some plaudits for his design from the "technical gurus" I've consulted. It may be a great sound, I just don't know yet!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12