+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTD - Empty Metal Box/Enclosure

Bigman80 Guest

Default WTD - Empty Metal Box/Enclosure

Hi all,

Does anyone have an old full size enclosure (to fit on a rack) that they have left in the garage/shed, going rusty and unused? It can be battered, knocked chipped and downright ugly as long as it's incredibly cheap! INCREDIBLY cheap!!!

Im building a phonostage and it needs something to go in and as it's quite likely to explode when I plug it in, I thought a knacker of a box would suffice just to catch all the broken valves.

Ta

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

If nobody has one You could probably find an old amp / dvd player in a charity shop for a tenner.

I'm Andrew.

What yeah building?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Alan.

I have a Grundig satellite receiver box that you can have, as in free (cheap enough?).

It is steel so the shielding will be good, also has holes in the rear already that are suitable to mount RCA sockets.
    The moulded plastic front can be remove to reveal a flat front panel so you could even tart it up with a nice wooden front

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I have a Grundig satellite receiver box that you can have, as in free (cheap enough?).

It is steel so the shielding will be good, also has holes in the rear already that are suitable to mount RCA sockets.
    The moulded plastic front can be remove to reveal a flat front panel so you could even tart it up with a nice wooden front

Oooooooo sounds good!!!! Cheers Al

Bigman80 Guest

Have been offered two Sony amp boxes too so looks like I'm all sorted.

What a great forum this is!!!

Thanks everyone

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    What yeah building?
    I'm building a Valve Wizard MM valve phonostage.

It's a learning excercise rather than a reference point in SQ. The board cost £6.50 and I've probably spent about £40 on components so not expecting a world beater of a stage. Its all about the learning.

http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/phonopcb.html

I'm Geoff.

Ah. More scorched fingers and solder in the carpet then Oliver?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ah. More scorched fingers and solder in the carpet then Oliver?
    Lol, yes Geoff. I've been banished to garage (only fair)

It's been good. It's not the nearest work so far but that's to be expected. The addition of a new variable heat soldering iron has proved beneficial and silver solder used on about 95% of the board so far. It been good fun and very educational. I'll start a thread once I get to the building stage otherwise it would have just been pictures of me making a mess lol.

I'm Geoff.

Yeah. I like a good project. You learn a bit more with each one.

(still got this itch to build more speakers myself )
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast