+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: The Abbey Road Studios RIP OFF

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Be interesting to see if you can find one that is better than your original pressing. I'm going to guess you won't.
    My Abbey Rd 'Solid Air' is better than the my EX condition original..!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by forsell View Post
    Obviously I am missing your point. You have got an original pressing of a record and are going to "better" it with an reissue...? To me it is kind of a discussion like: I have got an original E-type in my garage but now trying to replace it with a modern replica car to "better" an original E-type...
    That's an awful comparison! We are talking about sound quality, not historical artifacts...
    So regarding your ridiculous comparison above, yes original records imho can be 'bettered' by new reissues!
    I have plenty of new reissues that have seriously brought to life the music in comparison to EX condition original pressings.
    Obviously for historical, collecting nonsense, I would prefer if the original pressings were better than the modern reissues,
    but in certain cases they simply were inferior, even if the legendary Rudy Van Gelder was at the controls of the original!
    Last edited by WESTLOWER; 29-11-2017 at 09:38.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    That's the one, is it not an anti mould agent too

I've seen it on some LPs that I've played and the needle is covered in it.
    There's nothing sprayed into the moulds, they are bone dry. Any liquid would expand under the temp causing the paper label to 'explode'
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    There's nothing sprayed into the moulds, they are bone dry. Any liquid would expand under the temp causing the paper label to 'explode'
    Tanks Simon I was not sure on what to say this so I did not comment
    I know FO about plastics and moulds (apart that I work in a plastic recycling factory and was working in another one producing master batch a while before )

Another thing a few commented on the Solid Air as being good this give me great pleasure and may be getting one myself
    any chance If any one has the original and the Abbey to compare the size of the run off please
    I really hope that they had better source masters than the one used for Fire and water.
    There is no rush as I have already blown my budget for records this Crimbo 16 Lp of which 2 from MF Sound Lab

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    Attachment 21996Attachment 21997The Abbey Road Studios RIP OFF
    I have bought a copy of Free Fire and water and compared tothe original Island ILPS9120 that it was going to replace I have found it to beCompressed lifeless dull and distorted
    The hi frequencies that the super duper A4 certificate somuch brag about is not there
    And the hi quality of that piece of paper whit the nice goldstamp preclude any more practical use for it.
    The record run off is about 3 times larger than in theoriginal and this is a clear sign of poor mastering.
    This is what Michael Fremerhave to say about the Rolling Stone Issue
    https://www.analogplanet.com/content/new-exile-main-street-%C2%A0using-original-analog-master-tape-doubtful
    Quote :
    First, it's obvious that an advertising copy writerhas gotten his hands on a list of audiophile vernacular and he (or she) issprinkling it liberally and thoughtlessly.
    The claim made here is that the original master tapes have been used to producethese half speed mastered cuts. Is that true? I very much doubt it. Ithink what's being used are digital files sourced at some point from the tapes.That would be very different from what's being claimed. Different enough in myopinion, that if what I think is happening here is true, it constitutes at bestdeception and at worst outright fraud.
    Quote:

I bet what's being used hereare 96/24 files made at some point from the master tapes. Which files? And madeby whom? Are these the same files used to cut lacquers for a truly horrible,dynamically squashed Exile On Mainstream box set issued a few years ago?If so, it doesn't matter if the cut is 1/2 speed, full speed, double time, 800xor whatever. It will still suck.
    Until we get an Exile on Main Street cutfrom the tapes and without dynamic compression, we should not be supportingthis kind of project—even if it was truthfully, not deceptively marketed. Thatgoes for the entire series in my opinion.
    Itis sad to see the great Abbey Road Studios name get muddied.
    Endquote :
    I think one has to be very careful and selective with some reissues especially on vinyl. I bought a newly remastered version of E.L.P Brain Salad Surgery a few years back to replace my well travelled original. I encountered all the flaws that you have and more. The original is so much better. It made the twenty quid reissue sound like the tracks had been transferred to vinyl from low grade Mp3's. I am also disappointed with recent box set of Steve Hackett's early albums. Very dull and lifeless though on my initial playing of the albums thought they were really good. Perhaps I was a little overwelmed to hear the albums in such good condition. There is without doubt some corporate racketeering going on. Far too many reissues are not taken from their original source for a host of reasons they should therefore be resigned to analogue history and a good record cleaning machine sort to spruce up original copies. Depending on condition of course.

I'm Sandro.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I think one has to be very careful and selective with some reissues especially on vinyl. I bought a newly remastered version of E.L.P Brain Salad Surgery a few years back to replace my well travelled original. I encountered all the flaws that you have and more. The original is so much better. It made the twenty quid reissue sound like the tracks had been transferred to vinyl from low grade Mp3's. I am also disappointed with recent box set of Steve Hackett's early albums. Very dull and lifeless though on my initial playing of the albums thought they were really good. Perhaps I was a little overwelmed to hear the albums in such good condition. There is without doubt some corporate racketeering going on. Far too many reissues are not taken from their original source for a host of reasons they should therefore be resigned to analogue history and a good record cleaning machine sort to spruce up original copies. Depending on condition of course.
    So you agree? that maybe there is same corporate racketeering going on?
    What really pisses me off is the nice A4 certificate to tell you...original masters and that is not good as toilet paper as the quality of it is really top notch
    A bit like a supermarket re-wrapping same poor quality food in really posh paper and then lie about the ingredients used
    The supermarket can not do that and go away whit it but you say "one have to be very careful..."
    Abbey road certainly has the machine know how and artisans to do a good job but choses to sell poor stuff on a nice wrap fooling the ones that do not know better
    and no one can make them stop this bullshitting.

This saddens me as I would rather pay even more for a decent copy, if only the people that can decide to be honest and do a proper job whit the pride it was done 30 40 years ago.

There are so many things that can be done whit vinyl, See same prints from Shanachie from pretty bad masters to cite one of the less known

And off topic as is not half speed mastered https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/598270580 try this for how good vinyl can sound

As you mention a good record machine may be the answer Any one have an ultrasonic cleaning machine here ?

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Bksabath View Post
    So you agree? that maybe there is same corporate racketeering going on?
    What really pisses me off is the nice A4 certificate to tell you...original masters and that is not good as toilet paper as the quality of it is really top notch
    A bit like a supermarket re-wrapping same poor quality food in really posh paper and then lie about the ingredients used
    The supermarket can not do that and go away whit it but you say "one have to be very careful..."
    Abbey road certainly has the machine know how and artisans to do a good job but choses to sell poor stuff on a nice wrap fooling the ones that do not know better
    and no one can make them stop this bullshitting.

This saddens me as I would rather pay even more for a decent copy, if only the people that can decide to be honest and do a proper job whit the pride it was done 30 40 years ago.

There are so many things that can be done whit vinyl, See same prints from Shanachie from pretty bad masters to cite one of the less known

And off topic as is not half speed mastered https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/598270580 try this for how good vinyl can sound

As you mention a good record machine may be the answer Any one have an ultrasonic cleaning machine here ?
    I wonder if it is worth reporting to trading standards. They cannot sell or promote something which is untrue. This week Samsung were found guilty of false advertising for one of their phones. Tom Dailey dived into a pool making it look as though it was fully waterproof and it wasn’t.
    I am really keen to build up my record collection as mine are predominantly from the 80s and very early 90s when pressings were pretty rubbish. A lot of it was due to the mix being for the radio broadcast with limited bandwidth and people listening on transistor radios. The quality of the vinyl was junk as well.
    I always used to play once and record on to tape to save wear on the LP in my teens.
    I listened to one of my ULTRAVOX Rage in Eden original LPs, that had only been played a few times. I recently played it on a friends system and it sounded terrible. I was saddened and embarrassed by how bad it was. My CD sounded so much better. I really want to get back to analogue as I am tired of the fatigue from listening to CDs.

What do we do if we buy 180gm reissue LPs that are worse than the crappy originals,because they are using digital masters. Bearing in mind there was a big move to dd recording, dd mastering, dd pressings if I remember correctly.
    It’s about the music
    70s Retro Yamaha YP800TT, CA1000Mk2, CT1010

I'm Sandro.

I really liked the first Ultravox at the time I still have same of the original... and guilty as charged as I was in broadcasting ( FM ) in the 80's

I have been buying quite a few records from Discogos there are quite a few very god MOFI prints out there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456