+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copland CSA29 vs Unison Research Unico vs Primare i30

I'm Martin.

Hi Thiha

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Very helpful given you have had much of my kit in the past. The LSA looks a big beast!
    I perhaps need to audition an upmarket SS amp with plenty of power before making a final decision. There are so many amps out there and given the combination with speakers makes shortlisting difficult. Thankfully made easier with hifi forums though.

Ninanina
    Thanks for your perspective on the amps. Your statement makes sense "There are some amps that I've owned which I would definitely own again but neither the Copland or Unico would be on that list."

I now need to build a slightly different audition list including the Modwright and Luxman. This hobby is great fun.

Thanks again all, for your input.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Ian.

Hi Martin,
    I've had Copland and Unico in my system over the years although I can't remember the model numbers. I tend to agree with the others. Coplands are beautifully built with understated styling but neither amp lasted that long in my system - smooth yes but unexciting. Like you I listen to a lot of female vocalists so I hate anything that tends to shrillness. Current amp is a Leema Pulse Mk1 which is smooth as silk but can also boogie when required. It also runs cool I'd put a Leema and maybe a Sugden a21SE on your list although the latter also acts as a room heater! Supposed to work well with Harbeths though.

I'm Phil.

"I would say that the Unico I owned was a very good balance between SS and tube, but leaning more towards the SS side of the spectrum. With 85wpc, there was plenty of power and no harshness to the mids and highs. It didn't sound as powerful nor did it grip the bass as well as a Naim Uniti, nor my separate Naim Nac72/Hicap/Nap200 which I also owned at the time, despite the Naim units having less power. That's not to say that the bass was lacking, rather, it could have been a bit tighter, but if I had not had a comparison point with the Naims, I would have been happy enough with the Unico. I don't know about you, but I feel that the Harbeths really come alive when given some high quality current and a decent level (>50) of watts."

we played a huge range of music including film music from interstellar and electronica with the harbeth using the unico 90 . bass was seismic , controlled and the sheer grunt from these speakers was fabulous with this amp . they really did come alive with this amp .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Hi Martin,
    I've had Copland and Unico in my system over the years although I can't remember the model numbers. I tend to agree with the others. Coplands are beautifully built with understated styling but neither amp lasted that long in my system - smooth yes but unexciting. Like you I listen to a lot of female vocalists so I hate anything that tends to shrillness. Current amp is a Leema Pulse Mk1 which is smooth as silk but can also boogie when required. It also runs cool I'd put a Leema and maybe a Sugden a21SE on your list although the latter also acts as a room heater! Supposed to work well with Harbeths though.
    i ran a leema pulse mark 1 in second system and yes it was really good and could definately boogie , cracking piece of kit

Eric Bibb

I'm Thiha.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    "I would say that the Unico I owned was a very good balance between SS and tube, but leaning more towards the SS side of the spectrum. With 85wpc, there was plenty of power and no harshness to the mids and highs. It didn't sound as powerful nor did it grip the bass as well as a Naim Uniti, nor my separate Naim Nac72/Hicap/Nap200 which I also owned at the time, despite the Naim units having less power. That's not to say that the bass was lacking, rather, it could have been a bit tighter, but if I had not had a comparison point with the Naims, I would have been happy enough with the Unico. I don't know about you, but I feel that the Harbeths really come alive when given some high quality current and a decent level (>50) of watts."

we played a huge range of music including film music from interstellar and electronica with the harbeth using the unico 90 . bass was seismic , controlled and the sheer grunt from these speakers was fabulous with this amp . they really did come alive with this amp .
    The Unico 90 certainly looks very impressive but I suspect that it is significantly different to the early generation Unico that I had (circa 2003 model). My Unico did not sound like it had 85wpc. It was comparable with the Naim Nap 150 that I also owned at the time. On the other hand, the Avondale m130 which I think have 70wpc have far more grunt and grip on the bass than the Unico I had.

Likewise my Bel Canto m300 monos and my LSA Signature, far more bass that is tightly controlled and seismic than the Unico could ever muster.

I'm Thiha.

Quote Originally Posted by high.spirits View Post
    Hi Thiha

Thanks for your detailed feedback. Very helpful given you have had much of my kit in the past. The LSA looks a big beast!
    36 kilos I believe!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    Hi Martin,
    Hi Ian

I listened to a Leema amp at the Whittlebury hifi show some years back and was impressed even in the poor environment of a show.

One more for my list. Thanks.

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage60 View Post
    The Unico 90 certainly looks very impressive but I suspect that it is significantly different to the early generation Unico that I had (circa 2003 model). My Unico did not sound like it had 85wpc. It was comparable with the Naim Nap 150 that I also owned at the time. On the other hand, the Avondale m130 which I think have 70wpc have far more grunt and grip on the bass than the Unico I had.

Likewise my Bel Canto m300 monos and my LSA Signature, far more bass that is tightly controlled and seismic than the Unico could ever muster.
    the chap had had the early generation unico and offered me to try it . it was that that got him on to the 90 . i would certainly have it on my wish list if i had to downsize amps

Eric Bibb

I'm Martin.

Well I went for a Luxman 505ux in the end. Found an immaculate second hand one.

No heat from valves and a lovely sound through the Harbeths.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm Phil.

brilliant , glad its sounding good