+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the weak link in my system

I'm Deleted.

Is it when listening quite loud then and on crescendo?
    Account Deleted

Bigman80 Guest

Jamie, come and do a tour of the Midlands, I'll take you to Jimbos (if available), Alan's (if available) and you can hear all of our systems. Macca is only up the road as well as a few other members. Cheap night in a hotel and a listen to some very good systems.

If you can visit all of us, that'd be a massive array of equipment.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm jamie.

i could be a bit of a here chaps,ive just re checked my cartridge alignment and it was a little off and i mean a very small amount ,im re checking now
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Deleted.

I would also recommend you check the tracking weight and bias setting.
    Account Deleted

I'm jamie.

yep,back to basic for me i think....
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I would replace the Sony and Nakamichi with a better amplification set up. Valve would be good.
    +1.

Arm is absolutely fine and a good match for the Rock and Cadenza Black. (As I think I mentioned in another post I would add a wee bit of weight at the headshell as the Cadenza is medium compliance rather than high and likes a bit of mass. But that's a tiny change rather than anything significant).

Yammies respond to the same sort of thing as Tannoy HPDs, 50w+ push-pull valve power, something from the KT88/90/120/150 line-up or with doubled up parallel push pull EL34s. Get the amp-speaker axis sorted and everything else is just detail.

After that I'd address the preamp side - tube preamp and phono stage. Or get a good valve integrated like one of the EAR amps and just add a tube phono stage. The Yammies are crying out for valves. Best I ever heard a set were with my own Radford STA100 but also sounded superb with some Radford Revival/Woodside 50w monoblocks.

I'm Neil.

I also think looking at your system that a new amp / preamp would be the way to go. The rest is already in 'diminishing returns' levels IMO. I don't think that valves are necessarily a panacea to more liquid and 3D sound, it's just that it's harder to get solid state grain out of the sound, and harder to get solid state levels power from valves. I think something like an Exposure 3010S2 would be a shout for your speakers, relatively low price s/h & be able to sell on easily. Old Exposure prices seem to be flying up, but an IV amp at a good price would be well worth looking into as well.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Adam.

(1) If you have any doubts about its health whatsoever, send the Alphason off to Audio Origami for a service. He improved mine hugely.
    (2) Possible change of turntable. The Rock certainly isn't a bad deck by any means, but IMHO, the Alphason and Ortofon deserve better.
    (3) Amps. In my experience, Yamaha NS1000s sound best with Yamaha amps. Others may disagree of course...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm jamie.

cheers adam,
    with option 2 what would you suggest?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    cheers adam,
    with option 2 what would you suggest?
    SP10 MK2. Add in a Tenuto platter mat.

There isn't anything better for the money.

I'll argue that to the death.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast